Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

GameFront - Duke Nukem Forever and Jim Rednerís Balls of Squeal.
The really contentious part of Rednerís argument, however, is the fact that developers should be let off the hook because they ďpoured thousands of irreplaceable hoursĒ into a game. This is an argument that Iíve seen many times before, that a reviewer needs to consider the feelings of the people who made it. Iíd say thatís the last thing a reviewer needs to think about when assessing a game. Like it or not, a reviewer isnít there to protect developers from feeling sad. This is not pre-school, where everybody gets a star and no child is left behind. This is the realm of business conducted by adults, and if youíre going to turn on the waterworks when your game is trashed, you should not be in an industry where art is produced for public consumption. Itís simply not the place for little princesses made of eggshells.

Joystick Division - Marketing Campaigns Are Doomsday Machines. Thanks Digg.
Duke Nukem Forever is the brightest, recent example of this horribly hilarious phenomenon, but it was preceded by two other first person shooters which enticed us to waste our money this year: Homefront and Brink. Together they form a Trifecta of Terrible. Behold the power of the marketing machine, and tremble.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

44. Re: Op Ed Jun 22, 2011, 17:42 Beamer

Funny - I don't remember gamers (or game reviewers) harassing 3d Realms or Apogee for being "shitty people" in 1996 when the original came out. We all laughed at non-gamers with thin skins who did that.

How times have changed

1) Indeed, times have changed. That's what times do. In 1967 interracial marriage was illegal in Virginia. Man, times sure have changed. Oh yeah, until 1979 Virginia we were sterilizing women we thought had mental issues.

2) How many rape jokes were in Duke Nukem 3D again?

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2011, 17:48.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo