Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quote of the Day

"Piracy these days on PC is probably less problematic than second-hand sales on the Xbox," says lead Fable III combat designer Mike West. "I've been working on PC games for many years and piracy is always a problem. There are a lot of honest people out there as well, and if they like your game they'll buy it." Thanks joao.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

49. Re: Quote of the  Day May 19, 2011, 03:07 DukeFNukem

Jerryk,

Let me see if I can interpret what you are saying. Your saying, its okay to re-sale cars because it coincidentally helps our environment? I seem to remember someone referring to automobile disposal sites as "junk yards" and I believe they still exists. If we as Americans are expected to recycle oil and tires it wouldn't seem unreasonable to expect that we drive a retired vehicle to a junk yard for parts. I fail to see how that is so impractical.

Im not sure why you are talking about car dealers instead of car manufacturers in your third point but even if we equate the two your point doesn't seem to hold any weight.
Your second point fails to realize that there is no "law" that requires anybody to get their vehicle serviced by the same manufacturer/car dealer who they purchased the automobile from to begin with. Any service technician can perform the maintenance. Replacement parts can be purchased from 3rd parties as well. There is no guaranteed source of income from maintenance costs to a specific manufacturer once an automobile has been sold to a consumer.

My logic regarding the falling values of a software product over a given time period are not flawed. You simply choose to ignore my point by re-gurgitating what consumers have to hear from whiny game developers all the time. "My product should costs just as much as it did today when it was released ten years ago, because were selling you the experience and the experience will be the same when you buy used as it would be if you bought it new". Well, in fact, no it won't. Because, as I stated, nobody wants to pay $60 for a game thats ten years old. They don't give a frogs fat ass whether the bits are exactly the same or not. There is a much, much, much, much smaller demand for games as they age. The older the game becomes, the less desireable it becomes, the less value it has.
Its hilarious in your post how you try to distinguish the differences between automobiles and video games in your post but then make statements about the condition of a 1990 disc compared to a 2010 disc as though they were the same as automobiles. CD's cost how much these days? A dime? A nickel in bulk?
I don't justify paying $5 for an old game because I got the game on an old scratched CD-ROM. I justify it because the game itself is "old". The virtual sea of bits used to produce the game is old. That means the experience will probably be less pleasing than a newer game with newer technologies. Therefore, less desirable. Developers are bitching about losing money to second hand sales when they should be lucky that anybody even wants to play their games as they age, let alone purchase them once they reach a certain age.

Its funny because at the same time developers are screaming piracy everytime the winds blow, much as democrats scream racist everytime Obama gets criticized for driving the country into a ditch, they implicitly show by way of their actions the same thing I am having to explain to you. As games age they aren't worth as much. They themselves know this(at least some do). "Medal of Honor:Airbourne" was on sale on Steam the other day for $2.50 which is a very reasonable price considering its age. But I still didn't purchase it. Why? Because of its age. Because there are a slew of newer better funner more technologically advanced games either here now or coming that I have to choose from.

My last point was simply that people who make their living writing software have to deal with the pros of the profession as well as the cons. Pro:If a developer writes a good game he can become a millionaire over a relatively short period of time, overnight. Cons:some people pirate software. Pro: Unlimited inventory of product since it relies on virtual infinitely reproducible sequence of virtual bits. Piracy in my opinion, is much more worthy of crying over than second-hand game sales. And to equate second-hand game sales with piracy, as one boob in this thread did, is just asinine.

If a consumer makes ten copies of a game on release day and shares it with ten of his friends then a developer has a legitimate reason to cry. If, however, the same game is sold ten times to ten different people, but only ever played on one machine at a time, thats not software piracy. That is people just being smart, thrifty. Being smart shouldn't be a crime.

This comment was edited on May 19, 2011, 03:42.

Just because you aren't afraid of something doesn't it mean it can't kill you...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo