Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles

There's a Randy Pitchford interview on Games On Net talking with the Gearbox boss about Duke Nukem Forever, their upcoming first-person shooter sequel. Along the way Randy explains how Duke is like gaming's Chuck Norris before going on to likening him to The Beatles: "I donít know why, I donít know why. I was thinking about this a lot, and I remember when I discovered The Beatles. I wasnít born when they were big, I didnít even exist when The Beatles were at their peak. Yet, I remembered when I discovered them, and I thought, 'Itís good. Itís good music.' I felt special that Iíd discovered them, and I felt like I was cooler than some of my other friends that didnít discover them as quickly as I did, because I knew that magic was there. I think thereís a lot of newer gamers that are kind of feeling that about Duke. Theyíre looking at that. I think thatís kind of helped him become a meme, and an icon. It certainly hasnít been all the great games that have come out Ė because there hasnít been any games! So thereís something else thatís special about this character, that has done it."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

15. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 13:38 Parallax Abstraction

The Advocate wrote on May 11, 2011, 12:45:
I can see the connection. Both objects are overhyped*, underperforming* cult objects that should have long ago faded away and made room for better products.

*Full Disclosure: I fucking HATE the Beatles. For about a decade of my childhood, that is all my Dad would listen to. Burned out on them entirely and I can not view them objectively.

Pretty much this. I never got The Beatles at all. I even recently went back and listened to a lot of their stuff to see what I just didn't get and never found it. It's just generic 60s rock with uninspired lyrics and their later stuff is just nonsensical (likely cause they were all stoned when it was written). My opinion's obviously in the minority though.

As Sho said, Pitchford actually has a cogent point that he's just explaining poorly which is a problem he often has it seems. He's not saying Duke has the type of following The Beatles have, just that he's still talked about today because even when people are making fun of it, many of those conversations also have fond remembrances of how great Duke3D was at the time and that does help sell it. A lot of the people who are going to pick up DNF are going to do so because they want to see if it can rekindle what they loved about the past ones.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo