Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10

During the post-earnings conference call where Activision Blizzard unveiled Diablo III beta plans, there was also discussion of World of Warcraft subscription levels, noted by Kotaku. Word is the MMORPG, which was announced to have more than 12 million subscribers in October 2010, currently "only" has 11.4 million subscribers, which, after several hours of number crunching, the computer bank in the BlueTower says is a five percent drop off. Gamasutra notes that Blizzard president Michael Morhaime spoke of addressing this: "We need to be faster at delivering content to players," he says. "And so that's one of the reasons that we're looking to decrease the amount of time in-between expansions."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

15. Re: WoW Subscriptions Down 5% Since 10/10 May 10, 2011, 01:07 Wallshadows

The problem which I and a lot of other raiders have is that Ulduar, an instance which had 14 bosses and a new tier system, was introduce about five months after WotLK was released yet we are still waiting for Firelands to be pushed out the door after six months with half the content. Six months of lackluster content with uninspiring raids and it's only now going on the laughable PTR? They must have a lot of faith in the two new Zul Heroics to hold us over that long and to not become bored with (again).

Now, to compare the quality of that from Ulduar with what we have now is like night and day. Boss fights were fun and attuned properly to both normal and hardmodes, the atmosphere was great, and the overall design was exceptional. It really was one of the most well-rounded raids in a long, long time and I would implore you to see this content if you have not. Might even get a nice Protodrake if you complete the achievement.

Furthermore, there is no identifiable progression now as you are forced in to content which all has the same defined stats from start to finish. You no longer obtain higher-quality gear the deeper in to a raid you progress and are left with simply stat shuffles. To be fair though, this went out the door after Ulduar. The gap between dungeon heroics and raiding is also more of a leap than a step now which puts a lot of casual players in an awkward position.

Classes themselves are losing certain unique abilities while talent trees and items are gradually becoming more of the same for specific classes but with different words to describe them. Look at the Tier pieces for a Rogue and Feral Druid or Warrior and Death Knight and you'll see what I mean.

So far, everything about Cataclysm has been fairly lackluster in regards to their previous expansions and with good reason. Their senior developers have all moved on to the new project and left others in charge with half-baked ideas and trying to pull the wool over our eyes by saying they are delivering quality content.

As far as raiding goes, Ulduar was likely the best of the best and I fear that there will no longer be raids such as this but rather corridors with rooms attached to them such as BWD.

As far as content in general is concerned, Cataclysm is suffering compared to previous titles and I fear that we will start to see quantity over quality in order to address this issue but not fix it.

It was never fantastic though, even when it was new.

This comment was edited on May 10, 2011, 02:06.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo