Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Obsidian on Glitchy Games

An interview with Feargus Urquhart on NowGamer includes frank comments from the Obsidian CEO about the developer's reputation for buggy releases, though he oddly conflates bugs with enjoyment: "I think it's fair and unfair at the same time, because in the same conversation that I hear how buggy KOTOR and Alpha Protocol were, I also hear how great they were." He discusses this in relation to their last and next releases: "Now in the case of Fallout: New Vegas, we made a gigantic game, and I'm proud with what we were able to do but I wish it wasn't as glitchy when it came out. The criticisms people had are fair but it's difficult to get a game the size of New Vegas bug free. But that's an excuse and it doesn't matter when someone's paid $60 for a game. It's something we need to work on," he explains. "From the standpoint of Dungeon Siege III, we've been working very hard to make sure it doesn't happen again. We've been playing and playing and playing and playing to ensure it's of a high standard. On top of this, this is the first time we've got to use our own technology on something, which means we know where to find the bad bugs from the start!" Thanks PC Gamer.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

20. Re: Obsidian on Glitchy Games May 9, 2011, 17:27 The Half Elf

Acleacius wrote on May 9, 2011, 13:59:
Warskull wrote on May 9, 2011, 13:55:
Alpha Protocol and New Vegas on the other hand are much more their fault.
Clearly you missed the development "entertainment" that is sega, during Alpha Protocol. Plus the engine they were forced to use in Fallout NV is a KNOWN buggy engine. Not sure how that's their fault, they were hired and told which engine to use.

Yeah it wasn't Obsidian's fault for the problems with Alpha Protocol it was Sega's. It wasn't Obsidian's fault for the problems with KOTOR 2, it was Lucasarts. It wasn't Obsidian's fault for the problems with NWN 2, it was Atari's. It wasn't Obsidian's fault for the problems with Fallout New Vegas it was Bethesda Softworks.

Alpha Protocol uses the Unreal Engine which (from what I've heard, not to mention tons of games shipped using it) is a fairly solid engine. Didn't they have some sorta sci-fi game that used the Unreal engine canceled?
And they used the Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout 3 engine (Gamebryo?), and while it has some issues, the vast majority of the assets from Fallout 3 were used.

How does using a custom made engine help them any more "cause we know where the bugs are" when you use a engine like the Unreal engine, which has had more games released using it then any other engine to date?

The day they shut down Obsidian for yet another potentially great but bug game I'm going to remember this interview.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo