Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Obsidian Layoffs

It seems that some layoffs have hit Obsidian Entertainment, according to the Twitter feeds of ex-staff saying they've been let go. Akil Hooper tweets: "11 years, nearly a dozen shipped titles, Designer, Lead, Producer. 1 cancelled game, survived 7 layoffs, 8th got me. Not a bad track record." QA tester Ashley Betters tweets: "No longer work at Obsidian. I guess this means I will have to start buying my own pens." A tweet from Justin Reynard offers sympathies: "Today marks my 3 year anniversary working at Obsidian Entertainment. To my coworkers (and sadly the ones we've lost) you guys are amazing.<3" Producer Jason Fader adds, simply: "*sigh*." A post on the Obsidian Forums says: "According to LI, producer Tess Treadwell and designer Sydney Wolfram (and three interns) seem to be got laid off too." Thanks VG247.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

17. Re: Obsidian Layoffs Apr 27, 2011, 01:04 Nucas

i started worrying about this studio's future when i saw their new game is a dungeon siege sequel.

so far it just seems like obsidian hasn't been free to do their own thing on their own timetable. they're always doing somebody's sequel bitch work. kotor 2 was the worst, a young team without the clout bioware had to tell lucasarts to fuck off and wait for a good game.

then again it seems to go the other way too, they dallied around with alpha protocol too much, it should have been their breakout top shelf title. they pulled a valve and totally revamped the design halfway through, scrapped a lot of material and repurposed more to suit the new gameplay direction.. they just didn't get a half life out of it. it seriously needed probably another 6 months of content generation and polish, minimum.. co-incidentally about the same amount of time sega had them shelve the game without funding more work on it.

all this said, i've sincerely enjoyed every obsidian game i've played. i never encountered any of the supposed crippling bugs in nwn2. mask of the betrayer was superb. alpha protocol was a very solid game (after the intro saudi arabia levels which were bad enough to almost put me off it). there is nothing fallout 3 did better than new vegas.

i think there's a lot of talent in need of better leadership and better luck.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo