Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

IGDA's Amazon Appstore Open Letter

This open letter from the IGDA Board of Directors is addressed to all members of the game development community, expressing concerns over Amazon's current Appstore distribution terms "and the negative impact they may have on the game development community," saying they urge developers to educate themselves on the pros and cons of submitting content to Amazon." They express concerns over Amazon's ability to exclusively dictate sale prices to their own benefit, as summed up in this statement: "The IGDA's bottom line is simple: under Amazon's current terms, Amazon has little incentive not to use a developer's content as a weapon with which to capture marketshare from competing app stores." They urge developers to educate themselves on all the implications of this distribution agreement, and add that: "Any goodwill that Amazon shows developers today may evaporate the minute Amazon's Appstore becomes so big that Android developers have no choice but to distribute their content via the store. It would be foolish to assume that because Amazon's Appstore is small today, it will not become the Walmart of the Android ecosystem tomorrow."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

10. Re: IGDA's Amazon Appstore Open Letter Apr 14, 2011, 16:14 Ecthelion

The letter makes sense to me.

Re HBO:
I still don't understand why people pay for HBO. Maybe it seems reasonable if you're used to getting gouged by cable or satellite TV, but if there's a "must watch" show on HBO, you can wait and get it from Netflix (on disc) for a much more reasonable price (and if it's on Blu-ray, at higher quality). Even buying the series on disc should be cheaper unless you watch a ton of HBO shows, considering the fact that to finish one show generally takes several years of paying for the subscription.

I'm not sure if HBO sells digital copies of its episodes like some networks do, but that would be a faster way of seeing the series.

I haven't paid for cable or satellite in years, and I find that buying a series on disc when I need something new to watch is a much better option. But then I don't watch more than a few hours a day at the most.

I guess it's similar to people who have to own games day one, instead of waiting for patches and cheaper prices. I don't always wait for games myself, but at least there I'm buying a game I want, and not paying for dozens of channels I'll never watch.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo