Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

PCWorld - Sex in Games- Is it Time to Grow Up?
Developers and publishers got over their fear of graphic, bloody violence long ago, but sex is still a great taboo. Dragon Age II, for example, features a level of gore that would make Mortal Kombat blush, but heaven forbid you catch a glimpse of a bare nipple during an intimate scene. This is partly down to the overblown reaction of media outlets such as Fox News when news of sex scenes in games hit the mainstream, but it's also evidence of a certain level of prudishness on the part of triple-A developers and publishers in particular.

Bitmob - An honest conversation with BioWare.
I waited until he was finished before I roared in reply, "You recycled a bunch of environments! That is never ever okay! It's not an open world game like Assassin's Creed where the setting is an evolving playground. It's Dragon Age, a game about epic quests, dragon slaying, and deep stories people can get lost in. If you had planned to release it like this, why didn't you call it Dragon Age: Hawke Does Stuff. At least then I could've stomached it."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

2. Re: Op Ed Apr 8, 2011, 10:55 briktal

Creston wrote on Apr 8, 2011, 10:40:
This is partly down to the overblown reaction of media outlets such as Fox News when news of sex scenes in games hit the mainstream, but it's also evidence of a certain level of prudishness on the part of triple-A developers and publishers in particular.

Actually, it's likely neither of those two. If they show partial nudity in a game, it immediately gets an AO rating from the ESRB, which means none of the major chains will carry it.

So if we're looking for anything to blame, I'd start with the ESRB?

Creston

It's not "triple-A developers and publishers" it's more like "America."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo