Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam

The Brad Wardell interview on PCWorld grabs a burger with the President and CEO of Stardock, discussing games and GameStop's recent acquisition of Impulse. He explains that while Impulse was very successful last year, nearly tripling its revenue and showing a gross profit margin between 20 and 30 percent, the service would require ever-more resources to keep up with the competition. He also implies that Impulse is superior to Steam technologically: "If Impulse isn't best of breed technology, then what is, Steam?" says Wardell. "Steam is the most popular, to be sure, but technologically? Let me put it this way. The technology difference between Impulse and Steam is such that any objective developer who looked at the two would overwhelmingly...let's just say the gulf is significant enough that it's not really a 'depends on your point of view' thing." He concludes his assessment of the situation with his subjective view that GameStop is the favorite to win its battle with Steam: "I don't want there to be only one," says Wardell. "But frankly I'd be surprised if Steam is still... I mean, you look at the technology Impulse adds and the resources GameStop has--well beyond Valve's--and it's really GameStop's fight to lose."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

53. Re: Stardock on GameStop, Impulse, and Steam Apr 7, 2011, 19:11 Cutter

Prez wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 18:24:
Justopolis wrote on Apr 7, 2011, 14:14:
What is up with all the liberal politics around here? What does this have to do with the story?

Liberals can't seem to help themselves. But right-wingers do it too, just not as often from what I've seen.

Uh what have you been smoking? That's all they do. All day long every day. There aren't many liberals left around these days, point in fact. Most are centrists with left and right leaning tendancies, however there's no shortage of right-wing whackos out there.

And a persons politics should influence their consumption. There are plenty of businesses out there that support stuff I believe in, and plenty who support stuff I'm staunchly opposed too. So why on earth would I want to give my money to those whom I oppose and are opposed to me?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo