Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Announces Steam Guard

Valve Corporation announces a new Steamworks feature called Steam Guard, which sounds like a deodorant or an account security feature. It turns out to be the latter, as they say this "allows users to link management of their account to a specific PC. Attempts to modify or change account settings by any other PC won't be possible without the user's approval." They say Steam Guard, which will be available to third-party developers, will also support Intel's upcoming Identity Protection Technology, a hardware encryption scheme for 2nd Generation Intel Core CPUS that replaces the need for an external key generator. "Account phishing and hijacking are our #1 support issues," said Gabe Newell, President of Valve. "With Intel's IPT and Steam Guard, we've taken a big step towards giving customers the account security they need as they purchase more and more digital goods." As an aside, this is the first time we've seen Gabe referred to as Valve's President, as his title has always been Managing Director. We've inquired about this fairly unimportant distinction, but have yet to receive a reply.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

39. Re: Valve Announces Steam Guard Mar 3, 2011, 16:28 JoeNapalm

I'm going to wait to hear more about this before I make up my mind.

On one hand, this sounds a lot like the authorities coming around and saying "Hey, there's been a lot of break ins around here, we're going to put all new locks on your doors, free of charge" and everyone going nuts and shouting "OH MY GOD! You're going to lock us in and burn the house down, aren't you?! AREN'T YOU!?!?"

Kind of paranoid...

On the other hand...some parts of that article do have the faint scent of an accelerant, and while Valve hasn't done anything to me to deserve that kind of suspicion (yet), some of the people they hang out with are @#$%ing pyros (in terms of the analogy (though I think some of them really are pyromanics, too...I'm look at you Ubi)).

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo