Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dragon Age II Demo

The Dragon Age Website now offers downloads of the promised playable demo for Dragon Age II, BioWare's RPG sequel. The demo is available in three varieties, an English demo which includes Espa˝ol, Italiano, Polski, and Русский subtitles, which is mirrored on AtomicGamer, ComputerGames.ro, Gamer's Hell, WorthPlaying; a Deutsch demo, which is mirrored on Gamer's Hell; and a demo en Franšais, which is mirrored on AtomicGamer and Gamer's Hell. They also remind us of the previously announced promotion that will provide players with two in-game items if the demo achieves one million downloads and logins by March 1st, and word is that all players who complete the demo by May 31st will receive and additional in-game item. Here's word:

In the demo, players will venture through the game's prologue, choosing from three different character classes. They'll also learn more about Hawke and hone their skills and abilities that will make them the ultimate hero. After finishing the prologue, players will enter a key new location in the world of Dragon Age, Kirkwall, befriending Isabela, a romantic interest in the game who is also a deadly smuggler. Upon completion of the demo, players will unlock a special weapon, Hayder's Razor, an ancient dwarven blade which increases health, mana, and combat abilities, in the full release of Dragon Age 2.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

75. Re: Dragon Age II Demo Feb 23, 2011, 04:30 Jerykk

1) Obviously getting everyone killed still has a penalty of consequence. Beyond that, if you play poorly but just squeak by you might end up wasting a lot of your potion stock. As for injury kits, to me those were only scarce the first 3 hours of DA:O. After that I never had to buy or craft one.

If the demo is any indication, losing your entire party in battle is rather unlikely and needing to use any potions is even more unlikely. This may or may not be true in Nightmare mode but keep in mind that that Awakening was ridiculously easy in Nightmare mode as well. I do agree that injury kits were too common in DAO, though. However, that's not a problem with the concept but with its implementation. Instead of removing injuries entirely in DA2, they should have just made injury kits more rare.

2) In DA:O, each companion would have a single line they'd spit out when you ask them what they think the current situation, much as they do in DA2. Not being able to ask your companions about their childhood while exploring a spider infested cave seems like a minor loss. There'll be time for that later.

If I want to talk to my companions about their childhoods while exploring a spider-infested cave, I should be able to. Choice is the foundation of RPGs and if you remove choice, you reduce the amount of potential roleplaying. That's what New Vegas is such a great RPG. Want to talk to your companions in the middle of a cave full of Deathclaws? Go for it. Want to shoot your companions in the head and leave their corpses as dinner for said Deathclaws? By all means. Choice is everything, even if you would never even consider some.

3) I decided to look that up on Dragon Age Wiki out of curiosity. Fireball, Mighty Blow, and Winter's Grasp all have the exact same cooldown time as previously, mind blast had it's cooldown shortened from 30 to 10 seconds (and was nerfed), but heal had it's cooldown increased from 5 seconds to 60 seconds (and was buffed). So, really it's in line with the last game.

Fair enough. I guess it's just the reduced casting times and mana costs that makes spells easier to spam in DA2.

On a side note, apparently cloaking in DA2 has a 10 second duration with a 30s cooldown. There goes scouting and trap-setting.

This comment was edited on Feb 23, 2011, 04:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo