Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks

The Gearbox Software Forums announce Steamworks support for Duke Nukem Forever, their upcoming shooter sequel starring gaming's fair-haired boy. Here's word on what this means to you: "It means that regardless of where or how you buy Duke Nukem Forever on PC, your purchase will be tied to your Steam account, ensuring that you'll always be able to install a copy of the game even if you lose your disc."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

51. Re: Duke Nukem Forever and Steamworks Feb 15, 2011, 21:35 Draugr

PHJF wrote on Feb 15, 2011, 18:34:
This. by buying second hand you've given them as much money as someone who stole the game.

Except buying it used presupposes somebody bought in the first place you FUCK.

Well, I don't know why we'd need to go calling people names just because we have a difference of opinion, I'd like to think we're capable of having an adult conversation. (High hopes for internet commentary, I know.)

It does involve someone buying it first, certainly, but they've lost a potential sale either way when it comes to the pirate or the second hand sale -- Either way, you get to enjoy their product and they get nothing from it. I certainly don't mean to imply that they are on morally equal ground.

Look at it from the perspective of the developer. Jack buys a THQ game, plays it and sells it to you. Jack was their customer. Your Jack's customer, not THQ's. In this situation, due to the availability of Jack's copy, THQ has (potentially) lost out on a sale.
Obviously they've reacted by making sure you need to buy something from them in the case of used sales if you want the full 'new' experience.

I speak mostly in regards to Devs, unless the dev and pub are one in the same, publishers are just banking off of other people's crap so I certainly don't have any pity for them.

I'm not commenting on used EVERYTHING, there are some goods that benefit through being resold, such as cars.
Even when you buy a used car you still need parts for maintenance, so they are still able to make money off of it in some regard. Much in the same way MS probably has no problem having used 360s being sold as it still gets people to buy games.

I get that it's not popular, I just feel people should support the devs by purchasing through them, instead of second hand. If that means waiting a few months after its released to meet a price point I'm willing to buy it at, so be it.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2011, 22:15.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo