Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

XSReviews.co.uk - Ooh Shiny - Why DLC is treating gamers like idiots.
I have a problem with Downloadable Content. I've got to get it out there, it's one of my biggest bug bears. What once was a developer wanting to increase the life of it's hard worked on product, has now become a pursuit of another revenue stream, a way to milk more cash from already strapped gamers. Titbits and additives, another map, another hat, a prettier weapon, all things that are now charged for in what has become abbreviated and boiled down to one thing: DLC.

Bitmob - Don't be a dickwolf at PAX East next month.
My concern is that PAX East 2011 will be populated by Penny Arcade fans proudly flying the dickwolves' colors. I would not be surprised if we saw large congregations of Dickwolves Standard Bearers marching through the halls to defend their “right” to be insensitive unless someone tries to defuse this mess. And I have little doubt that the people who are against what they perceive those shirts to mean are going to have something to say about that.

World of Darkness News - Where have all the GM's gone?
Now the last few modern MMO's I played were Age of Conan & Star Trek Online. If this sampling is like all the other newish MMO's out there it's a sad state. Not only are live events (side note: If the setting of AoC does not warrant any live events then that indeed is not only short sighted but a sad state of affairs) non-existent on these games but clearly the hands off approach is not working. Seems developers think they can substitute a GM with repetitive scripted quests. So.. hows those sub numbers proving your theory Mr. Developer?

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

2. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2011, 10:36 Wowbagger_TIP

Maybe I'm siding with the dickwolves, but I just can't really believe that the world should be sanitized for the comfort of the most fragile among us. I think the world is a tough place, and you just have to learn to deal, even if you've had horrible experiences in the past. I really hope these folks don't watch TV, or read books, or surf the net. If a Dickwolves t-shirt is a trigger, I find it hard to understand how they can possibly go through a single day without running into several more.

edit: Didn't hear about the death threats. That's just fucked up, as were the calls to sexually assault that chick for wanting the shirts banned. WTF are people thinking?

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2011, 10:42.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo