Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Homefront Specs and Campaign Length

THQ reveals the minimum and recommended system specifications for Homefront, KAOS Studios' upcoming military shooter set during an invasion of the USA. On a related note, Computer and Video Games has word from KAOS that the game should offer about an eight-hour solo campaign. "Some of them will get through it in eight hours, some of them will take longer than eight hours. There's a varying level of challenge depending on the skill of the player," designer Zach Wilson told them. "We've honestly seen players take more than an entire day play through the single-player campaign, sitting down and not doing anything else." Both sets of system specs follow.

Minimum Specification

• Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
  • Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2.8GHz.
  • 2 GB RAM
  • Shader Model 3.0 graphics card with 256MB of memory
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7900GS or ATI Radeon 1900XT
  • 10GB of free hard drive space

Recommended

• Windows Vista or Windows 7
  • Quad Core 2 GHz+ CPU
  • 2 GB RAM
  • NVidia GeForce 260 or ATI Radeon 4850
  • 10 GB of free hard drive space

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

18. Re: Homefront Specs and Campaign Length Jan 25, 2011, 07:46 Beamer

I think the larger reason is that creating assets for games takes significantly longer now than it did in the 90's. Production values have risen exponentially and the bulk of development is spent creating and polishing the art

Yup.

I don't get how people can disagree with this. Games typically take as long or longer to come out now, have significantly more people working on them and manage to be shorter.
How anyone can say "it's so they can increase profits and move to the next one" is kind of beyond me.

Look at your typical FPS level these days. I'll use Doom and MW2 as examples. Doom is essentially a bunch of identical corridors and big rooms. The most decoration you get is the occasional hanging skull or lamp, each of which is selected from the same pool of about 10 different choices. Monster placement is straightforward and plot is nonexistent.

With MW2 you suddenly have to create a world that looks like this one. Levels not only need to be well thought out but still closely resemble something you recognize such as a minimall. Enemies need to be placed carefully with spawn triggers, which need to be tested from where you enter. The levels need to be mostly linear but you want to give the impression that the player is picking his path by guiding him with an invisible hand. You're still somewhat limited on textures and meshes so you need to be creative. About maxed out for this level? Figure out what you can reuse by enlarging and flipping it sideways to make something entirely different. Now add a whole bunch of scripting and test that. Make sure the whole thing is cinematic and tie it closely to a plot.

Yes, I know, MW2 heavily overused scripting. It heavily overused spawning by making it infinite. Its plot was barely cohesive, if at all. It is by no means the best example of these things. But it did a good job of invisible handing you and it did a good job of picking places that felt like the real world and turning them into levels. Those all just take a very long time to do.

In this case it ended up too little. I had several friends play MW2 on my 360. None were hardcore gamers. Each of them finished in under 8 hours, although two of them then went to MW1 after then came back and played MW2 a second time on a harder difficulty.

I'd say the sweet spot is 8-12. I don't expect more from my FPS games. It's nice when I get more, but I won't expect it. If I get less than 8 I start feeling ripped off, especially if I have zero interest in the multiplayer portion. Giving me bots will always make me feel better about a shorter campaign.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo