Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 12, 2011, 14:14 Verno

Simple interface? There must be a few thousand combinations for what you can tell your guys to do plus you have multiple presets you can save so if you want a set of commands to follow that are more of a defensive archer guard you can do that, or if you want your melee guy to go balls in against the biggest foe and make sure he's aggro'ng everyone you can program that.

I think you're confused, tactics is all about reducing gameplay complexity. There's nothing inherently complex about the tactics either, it's mostly state based AI and an excuse for the developers to save time on coding decent companion AI. It's a basic interface to automate AI actions and a fairly standard one at that. FF12 featured something similar. If you try to do complex things with tactics and play on the higher difficulties then things fall apart very quickly.

I wonder if this is more "a console users view on Dragon Age" than anything else. I'm sure if you play mostly console RPGs then Dragon Age looks like your first calculator but it's fairly standard CRPG stuff. This all besides the point anyway, if you like games like Dragon Age then you should be buying more PC games and less console games because console sales encourage streamlined experiences while PC sales encourage more depth. That's just the unfortunate truth, whenever we get a PC designed multiplatform experience that is successful the console world tends to rape it by streamlining the shit out of anything "complex".

The only exception to this I've ever seen was Demons Souls which is basically a combination of Kings Field and older PC CRPG/Dungeon runners that somehow got accidentally made for consoles. Even the devs of that game admit it was just a bizarre mistake that somehow got greenlit despite all odds.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2011, 14:22.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo