Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Demise of The Bard's Tale

Gamasutra highlights a portion of a Rebecca Heineman interview where the Interplay cofounder (as William Heineman) lays out the reasons for the demise of The Bard's Tale series. Her fourth game in the RPG series had to be renamed due to a licensing conflict with Electronic Arts, and ended up being called Dragon Wars, the clichéd title all the odder since the game featured no dragons. Sales of Dragon Wars turned out to disappointing, and EA eventually cancelled the "official" fourth The Bard's Tale game, and when she later pitched a different The Bard's Tale IV to EA, she was told the franchise was "too old." A Brian Fargo-designed installment in The Bard's Tale was eventually released, which she disavows as not being true to the series: "In my opinion, the Bard's Tale that Brian released was The Princess Bride," she said. "It even had Cary Elwes as the bard; the humor and everything was The Princess Bride and was not Bard's Tale. ... Now, the game that was shipped was one Brian wanted to make, so that's fine. But to me that Bard's Tale game, I would disavow any connection." The full feature has more on her game résumé and the early days of game development, and for even more on this, you can check out the YouTube Matt Chat interview series that spawned the article (thanks Ant): Part One, Part Two, Part Three, Part Four, and Part Five.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

5. Re: The Demise of The Bard's Tale Dec 27, 2010, 22:44 Shok

That interview article with Rebecca Heineman is really interesting if you are an original Bard's Tale fan.

Damnit I might have to get an iphone now:
right now I'm taking my old Bard's Tale code and porting it to iPhone.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo