Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Real ID Opt Outs

Battle.net has word on new Battle.net privacy settings to allow opting out of the controversial Real ID program. Here's word:

We'd like to make you aware of the new Real ID-related privacy options we've introduced to Battle.net. These options provide Real ID users with additional tools for customizing the service based on their preferences, enabling the ability to opt in or out of the Real ID "Friends of Friends" and "Add Facebook Friends" features or to turn off Real ID altogether.

To access these settings, log in to your Battle.net account at http://www.battle.net/account. From there, click on the "Settings" tab located at the center of the Account Management menu and select "Communication Preferences" from the dropdown list. The new settings can be found in the "Privacy" section of the Communication Preferences page.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

7. Re: Real ID Opt Outs Oct 1, 2010, 00:29 DrEvil

elefunk wrote on Oct 1, 2010, 00:15:
Oh for fuck's sake people, really? It was already opt-in from the first place.

No, it wasn't. Which is why Blizzard's setting screen has you *uncheck* the "Enable RealID" to *opt-out*.

No one ever forced you to use the Facebook integration. No one was "opted-in" to it automatically. The only time you ever used it was when you deliberately wanted to search for friends.

That's it.

And for that, it worked brilliantly. I found 10-15 people instantly that I wanted to play Starcraft II with that I lost contact with years ago. I had no idea most of these people wanted to play SCII in the first place and now I'm talking with them for the first time in years, sharing a common interest.

I don't care if search was the "only" thing exposed; the point is that I should have had the choice to participate in the program at all.

You don't care about privacy, that's fine, but don't force your ideas on other people or try to belittle us because we care.

If I *choose* to put my information online, that's one thing. It's something completely different to make that choice *for* me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo