Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease?

Paul Barnett's Twitter feed is all atwitter with old-school gaming goodness, as several tweets from the outspoken Mythic developer talk about his goal of getting EA to allow him to re-issue a DRM-free version of Wing Commander as a freeware DOSBox release. He is looking to get users to retweet about this "to shame ea legal into letting me Do it," and says he's set to pitch the idea to Dr. Ray Muzyka today. Here are some relevant tweets: 1:20 PM Sep 26th: "Wing commander Turns 20, I am hard at work seeing if we can dosbox and release it! Come on ea legal... Now is the time to shine!" 7:33 PM Sep 26th: "Wi g commander in dos box and re~released , retweet it for the win!" 9:10 PM Sep 26th: "@jeffgerstmann You need to get your faithful to re tweet it, to shame ea legal into letting me Do it !" Yesterday: "now have a dosbox'ed version of Wing Commander plus secret missions." Yesterday: "Tech guys removed the copy protection question from the Wing commander build!" Yesterday: "Now having the Wing commander game data compared to our original source code, we need a clean bill of health at this stage!" And just this morning: "Today we get data compare sign off for wing commander, dr Ray will be hearing the pitch, from there only legal can stop us!" Followed by: "My plan is wing commander one , drm free and security bypassed. For FREE ( fingers crossed)." Thanks Morris via Ultima Aiera.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

22. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 19:32 DedEye

It's the same issue that affects some other games from late 90s when run on Windows 7. Even on the older DosBox, there was a way around it, by editing the DosBox.conf file and changing the renderer to either "Surface" or "DDraw". In any case, version 0.74 works fine in Windows 7.

This worked for me.

Great old games never die and so happy I hang on to them. I got a couple big boxes of game manuals, but it's been worth dragging them around over the years.

Current walks down memory lane: 1869, Privateer + Righteous Fire, Tie Fighter, X-Com, and Great Naval Battles NA. I also managed to get WC:Prophecy working in Win7.

But ya; doubtful EA will do the right thing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo