Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

It's a very sad day for me today, as my dad died yesterday afternoon. This came very shortly after he was diagnosed with lung cancer, though it's quite apparent that he must have been sick for quite some time, as by the time it was identified, it was already an extremely advanced case. This is in part because he was very averse to doctors and hospitals, and clearly avoided seeking any sort of diagnosis or treatment until things got to this point, but considering what a horrible disease this is, he did not end up suffering as badly as many do, and for that we are thankful (the fact is that even when it's caught early, the long-term prognosis for lung cancer patients is pretty grim anyway). With apologies in advance, I'm going risk sounding preachy to take this as an opportunity to suggest that those of you who smoke cigarettes look at my dad's example and consider quitting. He quit himself about 10 years ago, but that was after smoking for decades, and while lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths worldwide, according to the Wikipedia almost 90% of lung cancer deaths across the developed world are caused by smoking, so this is widely avoidable. Take that as you will, but if even one person could take a lesson from my dad's situation to avoid a similar fate, it would mean that some good could come from all of this.

Anyway this was the family emergency I mentioned early last week, and it may cause a further disruptions, as it sounds likely that the funeral will be during the week. I am expecting things to settle down to "normal" by next weekend.

Mournful Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez and Acleacius.
Play: Atomic Reactor.
Spectrum TD.
One Step Back.
Links: Being Keith Apicary -- Meet the Borat of the Gaming World.
The Video Games of Today Reimagined in 8 Bits.
Space Invaders Chair. Thanks Neatorama.
Stories: I Wonder Woman take you Batman. Thanks Matthew.
Elmhurst eye-rolling incident raises questions. Thanks Neatorama.
Broadway sings blues over synthesizer invasion. Thanks Slashdot.
Science: Some trees 'farm' bacteria to help supply nutrients.
Calcium pills 'increase' risk of heart attack.
Inception the LEGO version.
Media: If Cartoons Were Real.
Conan works for Best Buy.
Happy Birthday Sam Raimi from James Franco.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
Follow-up: A Consumer's Guide to the Latest Credit-Card Traps.
Mars Rover Spirit May Never Wake from Deep Sleep. Thanks Digg.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2010, 17:29 Neutronbeam

I'm sorry for you and your family Stephen. My mom is fighting lung cancer, which is not a surprise after 30+ years of smoking unfiltered Lucky Strikes. She is undergoing chemo now and holding up pretty well.I hope your words do help someone quit their addiction.

Maybe you should get a back-up person so you can take off when you have to deal with the family and more important matters besides the Web site.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo