Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Blizzard Relents on Real ID

Blizzard has backed off from its plan to require posters to the StarCraft II forums use Blizzard's Real ID system to use real names. The World of Warcraft Forum has a statement from Blizzard CEO & Cofounder Mike Morhaime, which reads in part: "We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums." He goes on to discuss they still have high hopes for improving the player experience with the Real ID system: "I want to make sure it's clear that our plans for the forums are completely separate from our plans for the optional in-game Real ID system now live with World of Warcraft and launching soon with StarCraft II. We believe that the powerful communications functionality enabled by Real ID, such as cross-game and cross-realm chat, make Battle.net a great place for players to stay connected to real-life friends and family while playing Blizzard games. And of course, you'll still be able to keep your relationships at the anonymous, character level if you so choose when you communicate with other players in game. Over time, we will continue to evolve Real ID on Battle.net to add new and exciting functionality within our games for players who decide to use the feature."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

89. Re: Blizzard Relents on Real ID Jul 13, 2010, 15:17 Verno

Raiding is repetitive anyways. There is no getting around the fact that games designed to keep the player playing as long as possible will always be at odds with a game that simply tries to create an enjoyable experience, whether it's single or multiplayer.

If the primary design goal is time spent playing then the game must be repetitive due to procedural content generation being so limited and repetition inherently leads to subpar gameplay experiences. The only way to combat that is creating fresh content on regular cycles, something WoW has been able to do to some extent.

So in essence, MMO games are more about creating a revenue stream than creating compelling games which is what some people have come to recognize. It is very much a 2 steps forward, 1 step back genre.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo