Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Kotick: Audience "Clamoring" for Subscription CoD

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick answers "I would have Call of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow," when asked by Wall Street Journal Online what he would do if he could instantly make one change in his company by snapping his fingers. He goes on to explain: "When you think about what the audience's interests are and how you could really satisfy bigger audiences with more inspired, creative opportunities, I would love to see us have an online Call of Duty world. I think our players would just have so much of a more compelling experience." He answers "hopefully" to their follow-up question of whether this is coming, and goes on to explain that their customers have been "clamoring" for the opportunity to pay a monthly fee for multiplayer support, as demonstrated by how much they play for free: "I think our audiences are clamoring for it. If you look at what they're playing on Xbox Live today, we've had 1.7 billion hours of multiplayer play on Live. I think we could do a lot more to really satisfy the interests of the customers. I think we could create so many things, and make the game even more fun to play. We haven't really had a chance to do that yet, so that would be my snap of the fingers." Thanks Joao via CVG via VG247 via NeoGAF.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

58. Re: Kotick: Audience Jun 20, 2010, 20:59 MMORPGHoD

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2010, 19:17:
CoD is run and gun.

Well.. it WAS run and gun. If they made a PC MMOG out of it, they would have to add some treadmills to it and more waiting. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to retain subscribers. Of course that's the whole reason why FPS games really haven't been successful at making the transition to monthly fee games. Those still playing CS are too cheap to upgrade their PCs, let alone subscribe to a MMOG. The rest of us who jump to the next great FPS get bored quick without a WoW-carrot in front of us. Planetside was the most successful MMOFPS and it did not hold my interest for very long. WWIIOL with its persistent battlefield was even less "run and gun" and it definitively took too much time for most people to see action, making it a niche game. Although I would have liked to see a WWIIOL game with the CoD engine.

But who cares, most if not all of Infinity Ward's employees have left the CoD series development team and Bobby is more likely to make this even more console centric.. for that clamoring audience he speaks of. Whatever they come up with won't be all that interesting for PC gamers. There are only so many things you can do to a non-persistent "run and gun" FPS every month to justify charging a fee for. Monthly fee for just maps, lol. And when when they go a month without releasing anything new... forget about it.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2010, 21:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo