Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Regions Divided

IncGamers has a confirmation of indications that StarCraft II players will not be able to play against gamers in other regions, when the RTS sequel is released this summer. "It'll be structured very similarly to World of Warcraft, where you've got the European region and players matched against the other players within their region," Blizzard's Frank Pearce told them. Pearce did explain it should be possible to work around this: "if you're a European player and you've got friends that are in another region that you want to be able to connect with, we definitely want to support that," although "it might mean that you have to access it through the US client." There's also an article on this on GXBlog, where Mark Yu suggests that two versions of the game may be required to play between North America and Asia: "Yes, when it releases on day one, if you want to connect with your friends in the US, get the US box or if you want to play with Koreans, then get the Korean box. However if you want to get the best experience out of your game here in South East Asia, you should get the local boxset. The latency, the community, those are the things are going to really define the experience, and you don't want to miss out on that."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

45. Re: StarCraft II Regions Divided May 28, 2010, 01:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

Zyr wrote on May 27, 2010, 18:08:
Blizzard has already confirmed that the additional campaigns will be charged at expansion price, not the full price that Wings of Liberty is being charged for. Since..y'know, they're *expansions* this is kinda obvious. Did you complain about Blizzard being greedy for releasing Brood War for $29.99 back in the day, too? After all, they charged you more and made you wait to get the COMPLETE game!

No, they haven't actually announced a price yet, but early interviews indicated they would be full price(maybe they have backed off a bit due to negative feed back, who knows):

http://us.starcraft2.com/faq.xml

Objectively, one would think you would find SC1, with 3 playable race campaigns(of admittedly shorter length), to be more complete out of the box, than SC2, with 1 race campaign, followed by 2 expansions of unknown price, at least 2-3 years later.

Wings of Liberty, for that matter, is also easily found at ~$40-$50 pre-order if you know where to look. Like mine, which I snagged for $45. No, Amazon.com and Gamestop are not the only places to order games from. This price will likely be more widely available once it's released digitally as well, since retailers love to undercut.
Really? Where would that be, exactly? URL to back up your baseless claim would be appropriate. If you pre-ordered 1 year ago, congratulations, some of us were waiting to read about DRM and other nonsense tied to this game first.

The reason for the region division is A.) lag (no, 200ms is not very fun to play) and B.) integration with the World of Warcraft servers, which are already like this, for cross-game communication.

200ms is playable, and comparable, at least on my ISP, to playing people in California, who will be in the same realm as me if I actually bought the game. Aside from that, is there REALLY a reason to integrate anything in Starcraft 2 with WoW? Tons of other apps already allow communication during any program use. Even if this was the case, there is no evidence at the moment that realm competition, or lack thereof, would necessarily prevent realm-realm communication.

And yes, let's throw in accusations of most of us being pirates after multiple people have proven you wrong.

It's called a joke, I don't even care whether you pirate this or buy it, but please be offended.

And, by the way? Most mods/maps are going to be free. They'll be allowing a micro-transaction marketplace as an option due to the power of the map editor and as a way to reward modders for supporting their game. It'll be a completely optional thing, kind of like NWN's premium modules worked.

You are just talking out of your ass here, and I haven't seen any percentages for Blizzard/The actual map creator listed yet either. Hopefully you are close to being right though. I admit to being a pessimist here, but it sounds more like Blizzard/Activision wants to cash in a little on the insane success of mod maps like DoTA.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo