Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

ResumePlay - The Life and Death of Stealth Action. Thanks Ant via Digg.
Stealth needed a change. Not even Agent 47 could stem the tide. Then in 2007, Ubisoft changed the game and delivered a game in which the sneaking part was the fun part. Assassinís Creed ushered in a new era of stealth action. An era in which the player character was not simply an awful shot with an underpowered gun. In retrospect, I feel that the major reason that stealth action saw the decline that it did was because players were forced into the shadows out of weakness instead of having the shadows (and as with AC, rooftops) be a source of power. Why should it take super mega soldier Sam Fisher five bullets to shoot out one light?

Techgage - The Vicious Cycle of Gaming DRM.
In reality, it seems that some copy protection was actually going forward and providing benefits, such as Valve's Steam platform. The ability and convenience of Steam actually seemed to silence the debate for most products that used it, and even had people happy to trade piracy for a legal copy. DVD backups, instant patch delivery, digital downloads of new titles and DLC - it was like the best features of Xbox Live, without having to be constrained to the console. To this day, it remains (to my knowledge) the least thwarted copy protection system out there. Not because it's largely uncrackable, as Valve often proposes - but because it provided features that make cracking it less valuable. That's right, DRM (Digital Rights Management) provided a real service to consumers - it's a lot better than it used to be.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

8. Re: Op Ed Apr 28, 2010, 00:06 Jerykk

Assassin's Creed is a stealth game because you can be 10 feet in front of an angry guard, sit on a bench and be perfectly fine.

Don't forget to wear incredibly ornate and bright clothing that makes you completely stand out from the crowd as well.

I think Arkham Asylum was at least a bit more of a stealth game, as there were sections where detection at least made the game HARDER.

If you played on Hard, there were a lot of parts where you straightforward combat wasn't really an option because the enemies had guns and could kill you in like two seconds. One of the many problems with AC is that enemies represent no threat. There could literally be 500 enemies surrounding you but because they attack one at a time and you can kill the vast majority by simply holding Block and pressing Counter, there's no reason to be stealthy.

On side note, I wouldn't mind having an open-world and acrobatics/parkour in the next Thief game. As long as they retain the light and sound-based stealth mechanics and don't make Garrett some uber-badass who can instantaneously headshot three enemies at the same time with his bow *coughsplintercellconvictioncough*, I'm all for a little rooftop running.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2010, 00:13.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo