Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek's Demo Doubts

Develop quotes Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli saying he's not sure there will be a Crysis 2 demo, and expressing skepticism about the future of free game demos everywhere. "Thatís something we need to think about, because we havenít fully decided on this yet," he said. "But whether we do have a demo or not, do I think companies need to release so many demos? I think that weíll see more and more games not carrying a demo in the future, because it becomes prohibitively expensive." Crytek's publisher EA recently revealed they are contemplating prerelease paid DLC, which sounds like paid-for demos, and Yerli suggests this is an effort at improving the industry, rather than EA's bottom line. "I think EAís strategy is interesting, overall. The thing is, every time we see a publisher doing something to improve the industry, making things more commercially viable and actually increasing the market, people instantly think this is only some money-hungry ploy," he tells them. "Really, what this is, is an attempt to salvage a problem. The industry is still losing a lot of money to piracy as the market becomes more online-based. So itís encouraging to see strategies outlined to combat this."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

73. Re: Crytek's Demo Doubts Apr 18, 2010, 17:21 Jerykk

The problem is people only remember the games they enjoyed, so as time goes on, the past looks better and better because every year we forget the more forgetable titles, and remember only the classics. There was just as much unplayable crap, percentage wise, as there is today.

The big difference is that the good games were a lot better ten years ago. Publishers actually took risks and developers made innovative and unique games. More importantly, they made games that they would want to play themselves, as opposed to the current trend of making whatever sells most (a.k.a. shooters). Will we ever see another Tribes? No, but we will see a whole bunch of generic, pseudo-realistic military shooters. Will we ever see another System Shock? No, but we will see some "survival horror" games that are basically just shooters with extra gore. Will we ever see another Planescape: Torment? No, but we will see a bunch of action games with light RPG elements.

In attempt to cater to the broadest audience, games have become incredibly streamlined and oversimplified. As a result, meaningful depth and challenge have been removed. Just look at Splinter Cell: Conviction, R6: Vegas, GRAW, Deus Ex 2, Assassin's Creed, etc. There's a definite focus on style over substance, with players being able to do stuff that looks cool but requires only minimal interaction or skill.

Make no mistake, there have been lots of good games released in the past decade. But how many of these would be considered classics?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo