Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced

2K Games Announces XCOM, a first-person shooter reimagining of the X-COM series of counter-UFO tactics games. The project is in the works at 2K Marin, developers of BioShock 2, and it is due for Windows and Xbox 360, though a release date is not set at this point. A screenshot accompanies the news, and the preliminary XCOM Website is online. Here's a bit:

XCOM is the re-imagining of the classic tale of humanity’s struggle against an unknown enemy that puts players directly into the shoes of an FBI agent tasked with identifying and eliminating the growing threat. True to the roots of the franchise, players will be placed in charge of overcoming high-stake odds through risky strategic gambits coupled with heart-stopping combat experiences that pit human ingenuity – and frailty – against a foe beyond comprehension. By setting the game in a first-person perspective, players will be able to feel the tension and fear that comes with combating a faceless enemy that is violently probing and plotting its way into our world.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

65. Re: XCOM First-Person Shooter Announced Apr 14, 2010, 16:30 Beamer

If it'd be like Xcom, but the only difference is that instead of tactical isometric 3d battles you have FPS battles, I'd be all over this like a fat kid on cake.

But it's far more likely to turn into a by-the-numbers five hour single player FPS game where you shoot something that vaguely resembles a crab-man, while the story mentions something once about aliens attacking earth and an organization that fights back.

At least the developer is decent, so it might turn out to be a decent FPS.

Let's face it, the console crowd won't play a game like the original XCom. Therefore, it will not get made.

There are two great ways I can see this done:

1) Do it like the original, but in first person. I think this is the weaker way. Let's be honest, halfway through X-COM you get tired of searching farmhouses (don't even get me started on finding the last damn alien in a closet in a freighter in TFTD - you could spend an hour searching for the last one.) This could get mundane very quickly. It sounds cool at first, but when you sit and consider it I think it just gets terrible. FPS games don't handle repetitive natures very well, unlike strategy games.

2) More scripted FPS game where X-COM has been formed as the international corporation, but you play a government agent not tied to them. You still cross paths with them as you work your investigation. This means you'd often find yourself in terrifying darkness alone, like your men did in early missions (especially if all but one were wiped out), but often find yourself in the middle of enormous battles in which you had your own objective aside from blasting aliens. An interesting twist could be playing on X-COM being a not-entirely-benign corporation. You could throw so many cool scenes into this and lead it down a linear plotline.

Given the choice, as a developer, I'd choose B. I think B could smash.
Not sure what 2K is doing at ths point. They've said they will have the GeoScan, but also said you're an FBI agent.

Will wait and see.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo