Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews

An embargo obviously just expired. Rather than save them for tomorrow, here goes:

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

11. Re: NVIDIA 400 Series Reviews Mar 27, 2010, 03:27 Rigs

I've built two systems over the last two years (specs follow) and I wouldn't consider nVidia even if it were for free. They have nothing to offer that ATI doesn't already do. nVidia's trying to play catchup and in doing so are shooting themselves right in the foot. ATI started releasing cards for every segment of buyers, from ultra-low-end to super high-end. Then nVidia, mostly due to buggy silicon and not wanting to be caught unawares, puts out the same range of cards. Problem is, nVidia's parts are all the same chip, just chopped down to fit the price. ATI, OTH, pretty much has new silicon for each card level. You can find an HD5870 or HD5890, but good luck finding the ultra-high-end GTX295...

As for drivers, ATI has been steadily moving in the right direction. They take different technologies and integrate them into the cards like Eyefinity, HD Audio, HDMI/DisplayPort, and DirectX10-11 but don't really hammer on the fact that they're there while Nvidia puts out 3D and PhysX and trumps them up to be the best thing since sliced bread and the reason you should buy their cards...

I left nVidia after having a GF2MX for several years and then seeing the only thing (at the time) that they offered was the dreaded FX series. That's when I decided to go ATI with a Radeon 9800PRO and have never looked back...

Am I an ATI fanboy? I'm certainly a believer in ATI's ability to put out respectable hardware and try as much to support it with their drivers and other perks, so yeah maybe...what's it to ya?

System 1 (built Nov. 2008) - AsusP5Q-EM motherboard_Intel E8400 Core2Duo 3.0ghz_2gb OCZ Reaper1066_Radeon HD4870 512mb_HP 640i DVD-RW_Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500gb_ANTEC 650w PSU_APEVIA X-Gear ATXB5KLW-BK case

System 2 (built Nov. 2009) - Gigabyte P55M-UD2/F6_Intel Core i5-750_2gb Kingston DDR3_Radeon HD5770 1gb_Intel X-25 40gb SSD_Maxtor 200gb_LiteOn iHAS324Y DVD-RW_ANTEC 650w PSU_Thermaltake LANBOX Lite

I switched the HD4870 and HD5770 around and the performance difference was pretty noticeable (the older card is on the newer system) so I'm not sure what's behind that. Other than that, I have had no quirks, no breakdowns, nothing...I would say right now, if you want the best out there, go ATI all the way and don't look back...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo