Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

On BioShock 2 DLC's Tiny Download

A post to the 2K Forums explains why the just-released Sinclair Solutions Tester Pack DLC for BioShock 2 was already present on the game discs, saying this was to ensure multiplayer compatibility (thanks Shacknews). Word is:

I noticed there was a bit of confusion about our Sinclair Solutions Tester Pack file size, and I wanted to clear things up for you. The way our engine and game structure works is that people need to have the exact same content for people to play together. One of the challenges with post launch content for MP is that it can split the player base, and we want to avoid that whenever possible. For this content, creating the DLC package the way we did allowed for us to not split the player base so whether you purchase the new content or not, you can still play with your friends.

I know some of you have strong beliefs about DLC, and I'm not here to sway your opinion or convince you to buy our stuff - if you like what we're offering, I hope you get it and enjoy it. If it's not your speed, enjoy BioShock 2 as we released it.

I want to let you know that DLC is not interfering with our patching capabilities, which are a top priority and are still being actively worked on. We're committed to supporting you and making BioShock 2 the best experience possible.

I hope this clears up a lot of the questions and confusion in this thread!

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

17. Re: On BioShock 2 DLC's Tiny Download Mar 12, 2010, 19:28 Flatline

Metasparks wrote on Mar 12, 2010, 18:51:
I don't understand what people are so upset about. They basically have locked certain content that was on the disc you claim to have purchased. You don't pay for all the content on the disc. You pay for the license to use that content by means which the content-creator deems. If the content-creator doesn't want you to access certain disc contents until you cough up the cash and you don't like it, well, then don't engage in business with that content-creator the next time you go disc shopping, because according to the purchase agreement you only own the disc, not its contents.

TLDR - Speak with your $. Plus ++++ The more successful a studio becomes, the more greedy they become, and the more they will see with what they can get away with while you still keep them successful ... look at Infinity Ward for a perfect example.

That raises a huge issue in reference to that stupid-ass hot coffee controversy years ago with GTA:San Andreas. For ratings purposes, all content/assets on the disc have to be judged. Not just what's actually seen in the game. Which means that the video game publishers agree that all the content that's on the disc is/should be/could be accessible to someone who purchases it.

Gotta love double-standards.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo