Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Frans rolled out another enhancement here yesterday, fixing up a long standing feature intended to make it easier for readers to keep tabs on what forum posts users have already viewed. Unviewed threads and posts have a red asterisk to denote their status, which has always been the case, except in the past this feature would not be able to keep tabs on this unless you closed and restarted your browser between visits, which made it pretty pointless for most users. This behavior has been refined, and these asterisks should now properly track read and unread posts for logged-in users. This forum post explains the feature in detail. Thanks Frans!

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: REDDER.
Uber-Boat.
Metal Slug Brutal 3.
Links: The Dirty Secrets of Beloved Videogame Characters.
The top 10 geek anthems of all time.
10 children’s characters who were definitely on drugs. Thanks Digg.
Stories: Who Cheats- Docs and Stay at Home Moms. Thanks Boing Boing.
Christopher Nolan takes flight with Superman. Thanks nin via Dark Horizons.
Science: Salty, sweet- study says fat is the sixth "taste". Thanks Acleacius.
How blast-proof suits work.
Dogs That Detect Bedbugs.
Images: Infographic: How Did YOU Get Fired From Activision? Thanks Digg.
Physics Win.
The Newest Superhero.
Media: Cycles.
Your My Documents.
The Video Game Bosses' Lament.
Follow-ups: Chile quake moves city more than 10 feet. Thanks Boing Boing.
Half Million Seeds Now in "Doomsday" Vault. Just a hop to the North Pole away. Thanks brother19.
Disease Cause Is Pinpointed With Genome. Thanks j.c.f.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2010, 10:10  Xymph 

Xymph wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 17:18:
Ray Marden wrote on Mar 11, 2010, 12:47:
FYI - I am losing my "Thread View" when reading multiple threads under the General Discussion.

I'm not sure what part is causing it, but I can reproduce it by reading any post, clikign on the General Discussion link above the post, and then selecting a new thread with multiple posts. Of course, those boards are dead so it really isn't a huge issue.
Looks like the View setting isn't consistently propagated throughout. You prolly have the same effect in the News forum (with the link in the masthead). I'll see if I can straighten that out.
I tweaked a bunch of links throughout the forums so the View setting is now mostly controlled by the bearkey-view cookie and not overruled by navigation links. That should do it, but let me know if you spot another propagation issue.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo