Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Frans rolled out another enhancement here yesterday, fixing up a long standing feature intended to make it easier for readers to keep tabs on what forum posts users have already viewed. Unviewed threads and posts have a red asterisk to denote their status, which has always been the case, except in the past this feature would not be able to keep tabs on this unless you closed and restarted your browser between visits, which made it pretty pointless for most users. This behavior has been refined, and these asterisks should now properly track read and unread posts for logged-in users. This forum post explains the feature in detail. Thanks Frans!

Links: Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: REDDER.
Uber-Boat.
Metal Slug Brutal 3.
Links: The Dirty Secrets of Beloved Videogame Characters.
The top 10 geek anthems of all time.
10 children’s characters who were definitely on drugs. Thanks Digg.
Stories: Who Cheats- Docs and Stay at Home Moms. Thanks Boing Boing.
Christopher Nolan takes flight with Superman. Thanks nin via Dark Horizons.
Science: Salty, sweet- study says fat is the sixth "taste". Thanks Acleacius.
How blast-proof suits work.
Dogs That Detect Bedbugs.
Images: Infographic: How Did YOU Get Fired From Activision? Thanks Digg.
Physics Win.
The Newest Superhero.
Media: Cycles.
Your My Documents.
The Video Game Bosses' Lament.
Follow-ups: Chile quake moves city more than 10 feet. Thanks Boing Boing.
Half Million Seeds Now in "Doomsday" Vault. Just a hop to the North Pole away. Thanks brother19.
Disease Cause Is Pinpointed With Genome. Thanks j.c.f.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2010, 19:10 Ray Marden

Define PC. Shifty

What can I say? With regards to the game, I bought it on sale for $45 and all the reviews were going on about how much better this one was. As for the DRM, I admit this method is draconian, but I have yet to meet a fellow PC gamer that doesn't pirate. I am often mocked for my anti-pirating stance and, though I dispute the general industry numbers, I do believe that moce PC gamers are a bit loose with their morales.

But even in my case of wanting to buy the game, maybe the core content portion of the game is a lot better, the initial PC unverified home game unit version did a miraculous job at making me simply not give a sh*t about this game:

• I did have an issue with the initial activation. After coming back from getting some food, nothing had changed. I tried to move the window and got the typical "This program is not responding..." message. Only after waiting another few minutes did it go through.

• Even with what I said above, it is annoying authenticating every time I play and every time I exit (to say nothing of the program that stays open the whole time.)

• Not that the first game was deep, but at least it could play the intrigue angle. Now you're just a dude who is getting let out by your little assasin girlfriend.

• Hey, look! You're escaping from this huge organization...and all you need to do to escape is go down an elevator, run through some cubicles, and jump in a car trunk.

• Kudos on the poor animation/modeling/design. Here hand is going through her arm, the models don't line up here, this guys finger tips are coming through the glass door, etc. Seriously, if you won't even bother to make the first two minutes of your game look good, why bother?

• Hey look, we just drove to the dorm without any issues. Again, that's all it took to escape???

• F*ck I feel old. I'm the teenager that will rule the world! And here is my hip assassin girlfriend with the hip tech girl with the hip (yet snooty) librarian. BUT WE'RE SO HIP WE'LL SAVE THE WORLD!

• Fight the guards? ATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACK. But wait, now I'm stupid Ezio - how will I ever take out this group? ATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACKATTACK. No skill here - just click away like mad.

• You know I'm cool because I banged the girl. Awwww yeah!

• Not that this was ever a "deep" series, but everything just feels so much easier now. Coupled with my already feeling stupid simply by playing this game, the lack of a challenge or threat doesn't help at all.

• No doubt I'm being a hateful jerk , but I feel myself becoming stupid playing this game. And all my bitterness aside, this game easily has the worst mouse controls of any game I have played in the last year.

Mind you, I am extremely finicky about my mouses. I still use a corded mouse because I am unhappy with the lack of precision wireless mice offer. I abhor mouse acceleration and smoothing. I set my mouse sensitivity near the maximum setting and I can access every part of my screen moving my mouse no more than an inch.

Yet these morons decided they needed to implement the worst mouse acceleration they could ever think of. I move my mouse less than an inch and I can cover my entire desktop. Whereas, in this crap game, at "normal" mouse movement speeds, I have to pick up and re-position my mouse a good three to four times just to get my stupid character to turn around. In contrast, thrust the mouse 1/2 of an inch and I pull of a 720 around my character.

Ultimately, the only challenge in this game is just getting the f*ck*ng camera where I want it to be. And yes, I fully conceede that I am rather insane with my beliefs regarding mouse control , but it just endlessly amazes me that so many developers give so little thought to the control, much less all the smaller items.

Given the DRM issues...given that Ubi thinks this is a $60 game...given that the console version is going for $40 new...given that we waited an extra four months...and given all the small flaws I noticed within a minute of playing, it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I expect most others will have a much better reception to the came than my cantankerous soul ever will Furious2 , but I am horribly, horribly unimpressed with this turd.
    Frans, I'm tired of putting spaces after emoticons...
    I bought the first game for $20 and somehow I think I would have been better of waiting until this game was $20, too.

Thinking I'll likely be playing FFXIII instead (JRPG flaws be damned,)
    Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
    http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
    I love you, mom.
    Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
    Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
    If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
    If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
    Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
    • i[italic text]i
    • u[underline text]u
    • -[strikethrough text]-
    • c[code text]c
    • +[bullet point]+
    • q[quote text (indented)]q
    • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
    • [url=Link]text[/url]
    • r{red text}r
    • g{green text}g
    • b{blue text}b
    • m{maroon text}m
    • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
    2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
    3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
    4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo