Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

GPG on the Cost of Independence

"My kids probably won't go to college because of Demigod" Chris Taylor of Gas Powered Games semi-jokingly told Epic's Mike Capps in discussing the perils of being an independent developer during a DICE summit panel, reports 1Up. "There's a fear when doing midsize games that are new franchises," Taylor said. "You're doing the numbers on a spreadsheet and it's absolutely frightening." He also explains that he's received at least five offers to buy the studio out, and: "There are days that I really regret not having sold, and there are days when I'm really happy that we didn't." He explains the desire to remain independent is "because I'm still in it for the art," adding: "20 years from now we'll see if that was the right call or not...we'll see if that completely kicks my ass." Thanks Mike Martinez.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: GPG on the Cost of Independence Feb 18, 2010, 12:22 Stormsinger

As another old fart, I think you're generalizing from too few cases. I've gone the other direction, moving from primarily valuing the material towards valuing art and people more. Ayn Rand mainly appeals to people too young to have realized that it just doesn't work like that.

I believe the extreme emphasis on greed to be [probably] the largest part of the reason our world is such a frikkin mess. "Greed is good" was supposed to be a self-justification by the bad guy...yet somehow it has been morphed into a "truth". When did we decide to let the psychopaths run the world?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo