Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity

A story on DailyTech discusses some bugs they've encountered in the live version of Star Trek Online that remain since beta testing of the Trekkie MMORPG. They also describe issues relating to capacity, saying: "Unfortunately, the interest in Star Trek Online seems to have caught Cryptic off-guard, despite the fan base of several hundred million people. The company announced that it was ordering new servers during Open Beta, but dropped connections are still quite common. There are often problems logging in, retrieving characters, and loading maps. STO servers have been down for 'emergency maintenance' at least a dozen times during the last week as more gamers have started playing." This inspired Cryptic to explain what they are doing to address these issues:

We just wanted to update you on our in-game server capacity status. Throughout Head Start we noticed the overwhelming response to the game and we are working on changes to further increase the number of people who can play Star Trek Online at any given time. Our current plan is to have these changes in place sometime this coming weekend. We will, of course, keep you updated on progress as it happens.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

36. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 4, 2010, 10:32 JoeNapalm

Actually, this has been the smoothest launch of an MMO that I've ever seen. The servers dropped a couple of times during the head-start period ("It's like an out of town premiere"), they addressed it, and (other than scheduled maintenance) I haven't seen any downtime since the game went officially live.

I'm pretty burned out on MMOs, but having fun with this on (no one is more surprised than me). It doesn't fit the WoW-clone formula. It's a lot closer to playing Starfleet Command in a persistent setting than playing WorldEverLordoftheDungeonQuestCraft or whatever the latest clone is.

Does it have the pure and unequaled polish and detail that WoW does? The epic complexity of EVE? No...but they obviously learned a thing or two about launch day. From my perspective, it was seamless.

Certainly not everyone's cup o' tea (and yeah, Cryptic/Atari are greedy bastards) but a lot of the venom in here is a bit unfounded. If you hate it, cool - I think L4D2 and Modern Warfare 2 are bad games, and I never tried them...people enjoy different things.

This is more of a hop in and blast a few Orion pirates and Birds of Prey (yes, at the earliest levels, it's mostly a turning fight, but it gets more involved as you advance), not a grind until you cry kind of game. I think people are right in that the initial rush will fade (people powerleveled to Admiral in no time) but that happens with every MMOG after the Powergamers move on. I think there's a core that will stick with this one, and without a divided population like WAR (where they gorged themselves then starved because they weren't scalable) it might just stick around awhile.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo