Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Thanks Joker961.

Bitmob - Gamers Are Too Defensive. Thanks GamePolitics.
A recent news story broke out about a 40-something-year-old American woman traveling to Canada to meet a 16-year-old boy with whom she had been playing World of Warcraft. A call-in show covered the story. The first caller was a gamer who said that he didn't think it was fair to mention the name of the game, because it wasn't the game's fault that this happened. Many of us probably feel the same way. However, if we are going to be more concerned about protecting the reputation of a video game than about fighting international sexual tourism, people are going to continue to look at gamers as an unbalanced people with twisted priorities.

Ramblings of a Gamer - How do you Measure a Game’s Worth? Thanks Slashdot.
First off, I want to point out that it’s pretty much impossible to measure a game’s value before you buy it. Sometimes you will know that a particular game is supposed to be short/long, but you can’t know how much time you will actually play the game or how much you will like it beforehand. That said, thinking about a game’s “value” is not particularly productive if you already own it, so this is mostly just a topic that was interesting to contemplate.

1UP.com - Rolling Blackout: The Dark Side of Updates.
Another, more realistic hypothetical: Say Activision, following last fall's public outcry over Kurt Cobain's inclusion as a playable character, released a mandatory patch for Guitar Hero 5 that removed Cobain from the game. Would they have been wrong, insofar as they were impinging on a player's rights after the point of purchase? That's debatable. After you pay for a game, whether as a download or as a boxed copy, you as a consumer have certain rights regarding how you use that game. It's the question of game developer and publisher's rights to that game once it's in your hands that causes post-release alterations to be a murky issue.

GameSetWatch - 'Homer In Silicon'- Structure in Arkham.
I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas, and the first game I rented for it was Batman: Arkham Asylum, about which I'd heard great things. And I really enjoyed it: the gameplay was smooth and fun, and the narrative was engaging throughout. As I played, though, I found myself thinking that Arkham Asylum is a case study in the way that the commercial demands on a AAA game play against storytelling.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

2. Re: Op Ed Jan 23, 2010, 14:24 dubfanatic

Everyone who plays WoW is an idiot

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo