Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Ethiopian Review - Where are the US civilians in the ĎModern Warfare 2′ video game? Thanks Joker961.
But while Activision producers go to great lengths to depict fatally wounded Russian civilians leaving big streaks of blood as they crawl on the airport floor Ė all in the name of realism Ė they designed the US-based levels in such a way that no virtual American civilian can be seen nor hurt.

The game includes scenes featuring the near-annihilation of Washington DC, but even the depiction of US civilian corpses remains taboo Ė a sharp contrast to the Brazilian favela or Russian airport levels.

Couch Campus - Genre Wars: Downside of the RPG Takeover. Thanks Ant via Slashdot.
Now, Iím not here to rain on the RPG parade. I donít think that itís clearly a bad thing that FPS games are beginning to adopt more and more from other genres. I actually believe that the combination of RTS elements into this genre is largely under-explored. Thatís what makes indy titles like Natural Selection 2, and (hopefully) Nuclear Dawn so appealing, and itís the reason that despite the awesome looking Bad Company 2 on the horizon, weíre still all really waiting for Battlefield 3. On the other hand, the adoption of RPG mechanics into the genre is anything but under-explored. Practically every new release into the genre, be its focus on single or multiplayer, is entrenched in progression more typical of World of Warcraft than Quakeworld.

IndustryGamers - Why Brand IP Doesn't Matter to Online Games. By Alex St. John.
The online world, however, harkens back to the days of the game arcade, which didnít demand a major cash outlay on the consumerís part to find out if Pac-Man or Asteroids was truly a great game. It cost a quarter, and if the game didnít deliver the consumer never played it again. Thus, like modern online games the amount of money an arcade game made was in direct proportion to how addictive the actual gameplay mechanic was, NOT on how big its marketing budget or movie-tie-in was.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

10. Re: Where are the US civilians in the ĎModern Warfare 2′ video game Jan 21, 2010, 15:13 dubfanatic

Says you.
Ironically, the vast majority would say the opposite is the juvenile choice, saying it was simply shock value with no legitimate purpose.

So it's only shocking if they show dead Americans? Dead Brazilians and Russians just don't have that shock factor? I can understand I guess, I mean, Americans are rich and special but Russians are poor so it's not such a big deal. And most Brazilians aren't white.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 15:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo