Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New ATI Reference Drivers

GAME.AMD.COM now offers downloads of new version 9.12 reference drivers for ATI graphics cards. The new drivers offer 3DMark Vantage performance improvements and up to 6% framerate increases for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat running under single card configurations.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

7. Re: New ATI Reference Drivers Dec 17, 2009, 22:10 Rigs

Tired of ATI

I have to say, that with only a few problems here and there, such as your problem, Ray, I am extremely pleased with the way ATI has been keeping on the ball with it's drivers the last few months, and even years. I'm sure we can all remember back in the day (late '90s, early 2000s) when ATI's drivers were something to be feared. Not by the competition, but by it's own users. I was a dedicated nVidia fan since the original TNT and Geforce 2MX series (which I personally think helped to bring vid cards into the affordable range and keep it there). ATI, at the time, in my mind was more a business product. In my various temping at many different large companies in the NYC/NJ metro area, most of them had systems with an ATI card of some sort installed. While enough for a Windows NT or 95/98 system pushing Word and Excel all day, they were far too underpowered for the gaming scene. And many times caused glitches and problems just doing some of the simple tasks. (I hope to never have to relive the horror of trying to get work done on an old DELL or Compaq with Windows NT on a misbehaving ATI card, suffering massive migrains trying to see on a 'tiny' 14"/15" CRT! And don't even get me started on the S3 vid cards or Matrox. Makes my head hurt just thinking about it)...
But when the Radeon series started and the 9600 and 9800 PRO's came out, ATI started to come around. True, the drivers were atrocious, but they got better with each version. This is why they still stand while others, like 3DFX and Rendition, have fallen. (No, I'm not claiming that's the only reason for their downfalls, but it played a part, however small) nVidia was king, but ATI seemed to keep their eye on the prize and just work through it. After getting my 9800PRO, I haven't looked back. Now, after a 9800PRO AIW, X850PRO, HD2400, HD4870 and HD5770, I'm perfectly happy with my choice to jump ship. While nVidia has gone spinning out of touch with the market it helped to build, ATI has just slipped in with what matters - good vid cards, good inventory and respectable drivers...

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2009, 22:16.

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo