Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Weisman: MS "Destroyed" FASA Dev Culture

FASA Interactive founder Jordan Weisman says "When Microsoft bought FASA Interactive and incorporated it into Microsoft... the two reasons they bought us was, one, they wanted the catalogue of intellectual properties and, two, they felt that we had developed a really good development culture. And the reality is that, pretty much from the day we moved to Redmond, that development culture was destroyed," according to a new report on GamesIndustry.biz. FASA was acquired in 1999 and closed in 2007, and Weisman says: "I don't think the studio ever really had a chance. It was destroyed right in the beginning." He also describes his efforts at warning MS against destroying Bungie in the same manner, saying, "We were much better able to defend Bungie's culture than we were FASA's culture." Looking forward he repeats his eagerness to work with Piranha Games on the recently revealed MechWarrior revival and just yesterday it was announced his new company Smith & Tinker has raised $29 million USD for development of Pokemon-style games.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

95. Re: MS Aug 28, 2009, 11:20 Wowbagger_TIP

Take your typical gamer. He's a guy, in his 20s. He owns a laptop which is good enough for work but not for gaming. He enjoys using it to surf the web while sitting in front of the TV. It really covers all his computing needs, but not his gaming needs. He wants to play Modern Warfare 2 and no way can his laptop touch that.

I think you're over-generalizing a bit here, as I've helped others build gaming PCs before (I guess I would be that PC gamer friend from the fantasy football league). I just tell them what to buy, and sometimes have helped put it together. Often they just need a better vid card and maybe some extra RAM. But all in all, I agree that it's easier to buy a console, assuming that's the kind of gaming you like.

PC gamers either buy a PC that can play games or they build one (perhaps with help), or they aren't PC gamers. It's pretty much that simple.

The main things that make me prefer PC games, aside from the fact that I like strategy games like Sins and SupCom, is the vast amount of mod support and fixes out there. Games like Oblivion and Fallout3 would have been a complete waste of money for me on a console, as they sucked out of the box, but can be made awesome with mods. Then there's all those smaller niche games that I love that would likely never see the light of day on a console.

Edit: fixed typo
Edit: added last paragraph

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2009, 11:30.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo