Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Darkness MMOG Confirmed

CCP Games reveals their World of Darkness MMOG, confirming indications from earlier this year that such a project is in the works (thanks World of Darkness Online). In 2006 CCP merged with White Wolf, creators of the pen-and-paper World of Darkness RPG, paving the way for this move. The confirmation of the World of Darkness MMOG is a side-note in a post about CCP's contributions to the economy in the state of Georgia that says the following: "Its flagship property, the World of Darkness, has a rich history of over 18 years of creative development and is now the basis of one of CCP's major virtual world projects. Currently in preproduction, The World of Darkness is the undying heart of the development efforts in CCP's North American office." The earlier story about this project was based on a document that described it, though keep in mind this is from July, 2008, and may not reflect current plans (for instance it mentions a 2010 release date that is undoubtedly inaccurate). So here's a bit from that summer 2008 document:

"In the World of Darkness, you are the monster, struggling to remember the memory of your humanity while you struggle against the evil that lurks within us all. CCP and White Wolf are now hard at work in pre-production on the World of Darkness the persistent world. Given the World of Darkness legacy, its large fan base, and proven appeal to both genders, we estimate the subscriber potential of this product to be two to three times that of EVE Online, without competing head on with CCP’s existing products thus enabling wider total appeal."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

17. Re: World of Darkness MMOG Confirmed Aug 13, 2009, 13:04 Stormsinger

This is one of the few game settings that actually has a chance at getting something like WoW's numbers, assuming that the gameplay is equally sticky. World of Darkness has huge numbers of fans, perhaps not as quite many as Star Trek, but they're far more game-oriented and FAR more fanatic on average.

What I'm not so sure about is CCP's ability to turn out a game with such broad appeal. I don't think that targeting an audience of griefers is going to make it. And taking two years after release to make the game fun (like they did with Eve) isn't going to help them reach millions of players either. It needs to be fun right out of the gate...I guess we'll see if they have what it takes to do that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo