Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Minorities in Games

Science Daily (thanks Gamasutra) relates results of a study by USC's Annenberg School for Communication that finds the demographics of video game characters does not match the real world, saying "Males, whites and adults were overrepresented," even when you account for the fact that this group is also overrepresented when you look at who plays games to start with. They recognize some potential problems with the report's findings, including the fact that some game characters are aliens and animals, you do not actually see the protagonist in many first-person games, and that more and more games allow players to create a custom characters (which inspires the confusing note that: "Those games were included in the survey, with characters chosen randomly"). While one of the authors of the study does suggest: "These are highly underserved groups. It's a missed sales opportunity," he also cautions against jumping to conclusions: "The characters the developers put in the games do not match the real world," says social psychologist Dmitri Williams. "Our thoughts about why are all informed guesses."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

29. Re: Minorities in Games Jul 30, 2009, 22:48 Paranoid Jack

"I've been wishing for a decent game with a believably written gay protagonist for years"

What, you didn't play Half-Life?

All joking aside. It's a dead horse in my opinion. Yes, there will always be racism. It's human nature. But it's amazing what a little education can over-come when the student is open minded. I think most people are intelligent enough to judge by means other than skin color. I don't hate one race more than another... when it comes to idiots I'm an equal opportunity hater.

What drivers me nutts is being told a certain group is a minority when they are actually a majority where I live. How the fuck does that work?

What is even more crazy is being accused of racism by some idiot who is so stupid (and racist) that he/she doesn't even know they are the racist. It's like taking reverse racism to all time highs.

I know... it just doesn't pay to question the thought process of the poorly educated drug addled mind... so stop making fun of me.

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2009, 23:14.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo