Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: Checkpoint-only saves Sep 19, 2012, 15:09 2nd_floor

I agree/understand that manual saves give you complete freedom to reload or replay parts to use up less ammo, but I don't think it is the right way to challenge the player. It takes far too much control away from you. You are forced to play the game as the developers want you to, and for me that ruins it.

You look back at Doom or Quake of the 90s, and tell me if they were not challenging enough, with saving in front of every door (Carmack recommended saving often) and being able to use ammo and health as you wished. You often had to replay parts even with manual saves, because you die so often sometimes.

You have to kill the same number of enemies in the game, regardless of where and how often you save. True that you can better use your ammo/health if you choose. I think there are better ways of making a game challenging though, without making it so frustrating to play parts over and over.

For me checkpoint-only saves take the enjoyment out of the game by 75%! What makes it fun is playing it the way I want to, and with checkpoint-only saves I basically can not do that anymore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo