Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Demigod Demo & DLC Plans

So what the hell happened? on Skinning the frog, the blog of Stardock's Brad "Frogboy" Wardell has the latest chapter in the saga of Demigod, the action/strategy game from Gas Powered Games that suffered a rocky launch. He recaps the connectivity problems, which he chalks up to one bad design decision and one architectural limitation, explains why these issues took three weeks to fix, and outlines plans to release a patch as early as today to support proxy servers. He also outlines some issues that remain, and what's being done about them, and concludes with a FAQ describing what is being done to compensate users for these woes, plans for a demo (which would probably be out already if they hadn't gotten caught up in fire-fighting), that two more Demigods are being prepared for release, and lessons learned from the whole debacle. He concludes with a frank assessment of the game:

You know the expected marketing answer. But my view is, the difficult launch definitely hurt the game. Thereís no way around it. Besides upsetting a lot of people anxious for a good multiplayer game, you also have the fact that those early negative reviews are going to linger. 1UP promised to re-review the game when this mess is straightened out and so Iíll be talking to them this week about that. But still, Gamespot (6.5) and IGN (7.5) are going to linger. Thatís the breaks. One could argue we released a game that wasnít done (we thought it was done) and thatís what you get.

Now, that said, I do think long-term the game is in good shape. First, we will be putting a lot of effort to build the online community. Scheduled games, strong team and clan support, pro tournaments, matchmaker filtering (let people filter out people they donít want to play) are all coming sooner rather than later. Those things will help immensely.

A lot of Demigodís long-term success depends, in my opinion, on whether weíre able to ďperfectĒ Demigodís online experience before a viable alternative shows up. Right now, Demigod has the luxury of being one of the few modern RTS games that is so well suited to playing online. It also lucked out in that Atari doesnít release it internationally until later this month which means a huge influx of new players.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

9. Re: Demigod Demo & DLC Plans May 19, 2009, 14:38 Bucky

Regarding Demigod: Great game. It's a blast with a lot more strategic depth than is obvious at first glance. Connectivity works great for me now, though I'm having issues getting direct connect to work--though I believe that's due to my configuration. They've still got some things to clear up but it's pretty solid now.

Regarding AoC: I'm hopping back in come the weekend. I was one of the people who purchased at launch and didn't continue, so we'll see how things have fleshed out. Apparently I've still got 3 guest passes left too, if anyone wants 'em. Just drop me a line via the email attached to my forum account.

Edit: Stardock will be giving out a 50% off coupon for Demigod soon, to all those that have stuck with the game since launch. I have no flesh-and-blood friends that are gamers, so I'll need to give that away too....

This comment was edited on May 19, 2009, 14:39.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo