Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

EA DRM Tools

New EA Game Authorization Management Tools are now available to help users manage Electronic Arts games saddled with SecuROM activation limitations. There are two options, one is to download and run a general tool to scan your computer for EA PC games released after May 2008 to learn how many computer authorizations you have available for each detected game, and the second is to download one of the Game-Specific Authorization Management Tools to remove authorizations to free them up for installation on other machines. Thanks Ant and Slashdot.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

44. Re: EA DRM Tools Apr 1, 2009, 03:13 noman

>>This in fact, is a much better copyright protection scheme, than any >>other method I can think of.....

>>1) I can deactivate a license and then resell the game if I want.
>>2) There's no need to keep CD in drive

>The problem is that if you lose your install due to data corruption,
>a problem with Windows or forgetting to backup your licence on a
>format then you lose an activation - lose all 5 and you lose access
>to your game. I'd much rather buy my games on Steam and lose the
>ability to sell them on than to risk losing games altogether.

I know about how you can lose activations, and I actually did with Bioshock. The whole point of this tool from EA is that you can free up activations, regardless of what happened to the old installation.

I much prefer it over other systems such as Steam or even StarDock's which explicitly prohibit revoking a license. In case of Stardock, you can revoke a license by paying a flat fee of $10-15. I find all that completely ridiculous.

This is a good move from EA and it strikes some sort of a balance between the manner in which they protect their revenues and trust their customers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo