Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steve Polge Interview

Steve Polge on Epic's future plans on VideoGamer.com is an interview with the Epic programmer and Unreal Tournament III lead designer about the upcoming Titan pack and other topics of interest. One of those is the current state of the first-person shooter, and he makes a point about how this whole regenerating health trend in shooters triggers another design choice to make games less hardcore:

You can't have fast movement anymore, because then people can just run away and recharge their health when they want. So you have to work the places where you can push forward without breaking the core gameplay that you still want to have, and that was a big challenge for us. On the other hand, I love playing games like Call of Duty and Gears of War, so I'm certainly not saying that everyone should come back to this. We just thought that this was a cool experience that was still worth having.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

14. Re: Steve Polge Interview Feb 28, 2009, 19:15 Jerykk

Try Rainbow Six Vegas out on "realistic" mode.

I'm not sure why they called it that. You can still take multiple hits in that mode and then regenerate your health. You can still aim at enemies while behind cover too. The only thing that was challenging was that the game sometimes puts you in highly linear and heavily scripted scenarios where you are at a tactical disadvantage. Having terrorists popping out of random closets was also a popular design choice.

/cries at what R6 has become.

Anyway, regenerating health is definitely much easier to implement than medkits/stations. With those, you actually have to put a lot of thought into placement and quantity. With regenerating health, you don't have to worry about any of that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo