Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

PWNING 9-5 - Mega-Irony: Microsoft Digs Up Apple's 25 Year Old Mistakes.
"The X360 is a cancer. No, not because it has had a negative effect on PC gaming and I'm a PC fanboy, although all of that is true. It's because it's a product and a business that leeches revenue, mindshare, and resources away from Microsoft's core businesses. The XBox was supposed to be Microsoft's key into the living room -- a way for them to capitalize on the "digital convergence" that would occur there. But it ends up that XBox business unit is really just a fortress in the living room that even the greater Microsoft will never be able to add further value to, and digital convergence may never actually occur... So it's a big ole rotten egg that has stolen from Windows its only remaining 'killer app': GAMING."

AtomicGamer - Video Game U.
"On the up side, the majority of courses are taught by people who know what they're talking about, people who either used to work or are currently working in the industry and there's no way to overestimate the value of that. Game development still being something of an arcane art, any game veteran can tell you that having a mentor who's been in the trenches is worth more than a whole stack of instructional books. So unless you live next door to Shigeru Miyamoto or your dad's the head of EA, a game degree program may be the best (and only) way to find one of these."

Gamasutra - Opinion: Obsidian - Life Of The (RPG) Party?
"Very little was ever said about the Aliens RPG, but I'm sure that I would have played it, regardless of whether it now gets completed. I've found that Obsidian Entertainment, compared to every other developer that makes party-based RPGs, has consistently had the most interesting and forward-thinking ideas about party members and dynamics, whether in games that I like (Knights of the Old Republic II) or ones that I don't (Neverwinter Nights 2)."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

6. Re: On the 360 Feb 26, 2009, 08:27 killer_roach

There is only one problem with this theory, Microsoft is bringing in more money on Xbox games than it ever would have with any PC related scheme. Plus, a lot of this crapola gets ported over to the PC where another 20% or so can be made.

Some huge swings and misses here.

First off, Microsoft sells the 360 hardware at a loss. That reduces overall profitability off the bat versus a PC-focused strategy for them.

Secondly, as many 360s as are sold, it still pales before the install base of Windows PCs.

Third, and the most important one, Windows gaming is one of the few things that keeps consumer PC owners locked into the Microsoft ecosystem. With MS bent on killing off PC gaming, it has simply opened the door wider and wider to sowing the seeds for diminishing market share for Windows (and, consequently, Office), the biggest money-makers that the company has.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo