Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dawn of War II Patch

Steam News announces a new Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II patch is now automatically available via Steam. Here's the problem it addresses: "Improved memory heap management to reduce 'out-of-memory' crashes that were plaguing certain systems, including 32-Bit Vista on High and Ultra settings. Often reported as 'error 183 failed to create to create dump'."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

18. Re: Dawn of War II Patch Feb 24, 2009, 15:14 Warskull

Would you guys recommend this game to a non-RTS player? There are a lot of interesting elements and positive buzz about this game, but as someone who traditionally doesn't enjoy RTS games (due to micromanagement and such) I'm afraid of getting burned. Thoughts?

It depends on what you want to play. Single player is more a real time, tactical RPG. You fight through a stage, get some item drops, and kill a boss. Each stage usually has a simple objective and they are varied enough to keep it interesting. In single player you only have 4 squads, 2 per player if you do Co-op (2 player.)

Multiplayer requires a bit more micro. Problem is Starcraft and a lot of other RTS games give micro a bad name. Starcraft has very high micro demands and a lot of unnecessary micro (yes, it was about as good as you could get back then.) A lot of other RTS games blindly follow it and in turn have a lot of pointless micro. The micro in DoW II is almost all focused on your units. You will rarely have more than 10 selectable units on the field, but all of them have abilities. I think entry level play in DoW II is more accessible than most RTS games.

Still I would wait on getting it to see if Relic cleans up their act a bit. There are still a few game breakers floating about that they claim will be fixed in 1-2 weeks. Until these are fixed multiplayer is essentially dead in the water.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo