Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On GTA IV PC DRM

Rockstar Talks GTA IV PC DRM on IGN is a Q&A discussing how the upcoming Windows edition of Grand Theft Auto IV will handle copy protection. The game will include SecuROM copy protection, and will require one-time online authentication via the Internet and will also require the game disc in the drive to play. The game can be installed on an unconnected PC, but will still require online activation, even for PC's with no internet access, as it can be done on another internet-connected PC. The game carries a surprising long list of other prerequisites, as they say: "GTA IV PC also requires a number of software installations, including Games For Windows, Adobe Flash, Internet Explorer, SecuROM and our Rockstar Games Social Club application." The conversation elaborates on the whole activation deal: "GTA IV PC uses SecuROM for protecting our EXE until street date has passed, to ensure the retail disk is in the computer drive, and is used for Product Activation of the title. Product Activation is a one time only online authentication when installing the game. GTA IV has no install limits for the retail disc version of the game, and that version can be installed on an unlimited number of PCs by the retail disk owner." Digitally distributed editions of the game will still use SecuROM, though obviously will not require a non-existent disc in the drive.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

38. Re: On GTA IV PC DRM Nov 28, 2008, 19:32 Jackplug

Ive been buying & playing games like yourself since monkey island
days and this DRM/Securom shit is doing my head in cos noway am I
buying a game to be told i can only install it 5 times..
(i was talking abt drm as a whole not GTAIV)

I did have this on pre order until I read this, lost another sale
and i think thousands more... Do you ppl ever learn, we do not want
to be ripped off and youve lost millions of cash cos of your stupidity!!

I think one more year and the pc will be dead for gaming...

This comment was edited on Nov 28, 2008, 19:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo