Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Game Reviews

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

37. Re: ... Oct 16, 2008, 15:23 Beamer

I can, however, say that numerous design decisions that have been reported I find... distasteful.

Agreed. VATs more than anything. But nothing is worth the bile spewed at the game and developer thus far.

Oh, I see, because the series that you liked have been butchered, that makes it "ok" to butcher other series?

Did I say that? No.
I said that it actually looks like a fun game is coming for Fallout, but one that isn't exactly Fallout. It's better than a series being completely ruined. I, for one, look forward to going back to that universe.

They can include the "3" all they want - as long as they take the "Fallout" part out. As for the drooling issue, apparently you've managed to play the game, and have managed to make up other people's minds about what they think about it. What are you doing wasting your time posting here for?

But it's in the same universe. Gameplay changes aside, same universe = same name. Tie Fighter and Jedi Knight had very different gameplay yet were still Star Wars, were they not?

And I've made up no minds. We all love the Fallout universe. We've all been clamoring for a new Fallout game. We're getting it. And most of us just whine without giving it a chance. Most people in this thread were complaining from the moment it was announced due simply to it being a first person adventure game instead of third person RPG. It's the style change they've been unable to get past.

Two completely incorrect assumptions here, but I'll lump them together. First, I would much rather no one made another Fallout game than someone make a poor Fallout game. One only need look at that tarnish that Master of Orion 3 put on the MoO franchise to show how a poor game can ruin a reputation.

Second, the issue with Fallout 3 has never been about the perspective. Although I'd point to Neverwinter Nights 2 as being a recent RPG that is isometric and pseudo turn based). The issue was whether they could capture the spirit of the previous Fallouts. This included a substantial degree of moral ambiguity, and a focus on developing a specific type of character. Both of these things, based on the reports of this preview, are completely lacking in the game.

I think I already covered the reputation thing with my mention of X-COM and JA, but you were quick to dismiss it. Interesting to see you bring the point back.

And you're incorrect. Go find the Blues posts where Fallout 3 was announced and look at all the whining about perspective. Before we had a clue what would happen with the RPG elements people were complaining.
Regardless, can't you still strip those out and make a fun Fallout game? The gameplay elements were crucial parts of Fallout, it's true, but it's really the universe that defined it. You could take those same gameplay elements and apply it to a different game and be fine, but you can't do the same with the universe (just look at Baldur's Gate and Planescape.) Yet you can make a great game in a similar universe. Rich universes can be viewed from many different angles. Just look at what's been done with Warcraft's.

Good to see your lowered expectations.

Not exactly. And it's standards that you meant, really.
Fallout 2 is one of the best games ever made. I wouldn't expect ANY game to live up to that.
A game can be excellent and near flawless and still not meet the Fallout 2 bar.
But that doesn't mean the game isn't a ton of fun.

Some of you would complain if this game turned out to be the second best you've ever played.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo