Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Spore Piracy

Spore's Piracy Problem on Forbes is one of those forays into trying to evaluate the extent of game piracy, in this case for Spore, by looking at peer-to-peer statistics. This is particularly interesting in light of the controversy over Spore's digital rights management, which is upsetting many gamers in order to theoretically curb piracy, but in spite of anti-piracy measures described by some as draconian, the game is apparently getting even more action on bit torrent than one might expect according to Big Champagne, a firm that analyzes such activity. The article indicates a popular sentiment among those pirating the game is that they are protesting the DRM in the game, and it also quotes Brad Wardell on how Stardock has managed to protect its intellectual property without pissing off its user-base. Thanks nin.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

26. On Spore Piracy Sep 14, 2008, 14:50 [VG]Reagle

Hahaha. A whole generation of people that think they have a god given right to rip any intellectual property they want online.

You all are pissed EA has taken steps to piss in your cornflakes. I love the reference to microsofts activation of windows. Bet you didnt like that either.

I have one thing to say kiddies. Enjoy your cornflakes. I hope more companies take steps like this to make you PAY for games. That way maybe developers will invest more in my favorite platform.

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo