Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 3 Censored for AU, and Everywhere Else Too

Censors Force Fallout 3 Changes on Edge Online has a surprising revelation about the news that Fallout 3 was rejected by Australian censors (story) later to be approved for sale down under after the editing of some of the game's drug references (story). It turns out the edited version resubmitted down under will be the version that's released globally, so everyone will be subject to the Australian standards for adult games, which is that there are no such things. They quote Bethesda Softworks' Pete Hines on the topic: "An issue was raised concerning references to real world, proscribed drugs in the game, and we subsequently removed those references and replaced them with fictional names. To avoid confusion among people in different territories, we decided to make those substitutions in all versions of the game, in all territories. I didn't want people continuing to assume the version in Australia was some altered version when it's not. There are no references to real world drugs in any version of Fallout 3."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

39. Huh? Sep 9, 2008, 22:55 Paranoid Jack

I'm appalled that Bethesda was so stupid as to use real world drug names... not thinking that this would actually happen? It's the same reason they made up names for their other games. My guess is they were hoping for this very thing to happen to generate huge amounts of free press and to help get the attention of the world's game playing youth.

Or it may just show that they don't know enough or care enough about the previous games to stick with the existing Fallout canon.

I'm betting this was a staged fiasco....
This comment was edited on Sep 9, 23:05.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo