Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bill Roper Interview

The Bill Roper Interview on 1Up is a Q&A with the cofounder of Flagship Studios about the developer that is in essence deceased at this point, as well as thoughts on Diablo III and other topics later on. As to the subject of Flagship, they ask about what he can discuss (at one point he makes a pointed reference to Hanbitsoft not honoring their nondisclosure agreements), and he describes efforts at paying off institutions and employees still owed money by Flagship and the attempts to save the company from going under. His comment about losing the Mythos IP, indicates he thinks the new owners got less than they bargained for:

Yeah. But I think part of it is -- the challenge they face is -- it's like if somebody says, "Hey, I made you a loan against your Ferrari, [and] now the loan's due, so I want the Ferrari." And I say, "Great, here's a box of parts, because I didn't actually finish building the car yet." So they have it, but it's not done, and they don't have any of the engineers that were there that know how to build the game or use the tools or use the tech or anything. So yes, you have it, but you have it where it is, which isn't done yet. It's a lot different from a movie. With a film you can say, "Here's all the footage. Get some competent guys with an Avid system, and you could piece something together. Go shoot some more scenes. Release the film." Totally different situation here. There isn't just a quick way you can slap something together. So I think that they're facing a big challenge: How to actually get a shippable title out of this without that team being there anymore. Unfortunately, it isn't something we didn't kind of warn them about. We said, "We want to know what you guys will do." We had transition service agreements that we have done everything we can to fulfill. Flagship at this point is unable to actually provide those transition services. I don't have programmers anymore, or artists to work on the title, but we provided them with all the personal contact information with anyone they wanted. After that the onus is on them as far as whether or not to bring those people in.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

16. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 09:32 Undocumented Alien

GFW: At what point did you guys feel like maybe you shouldn’t have done the hybrid model? Was it before or after you launched Hellgate?

BR: Before we launched.

GFW: So you already knew…

BR: We knew before we launched. There was enough feedback from people where we realized, yeah, we probably made a mistake. But at that point…the train had left the station. We didn’t have enough initial content in there to [switch directions]. We might have been able to back off and go to a free-to-play-only model, but we didn’t have anything in place to roll right into doing an expansion. Everything from the development side to the business side was set to this model that we’d put together. We hoped that it was going to actually work, and we told ourselves that maybe it’ll work better than we think it’s going to work, right? But there was just a lot of confusion.

So Bill Roper admits that even BEFORE THEY LAUNCHED that the subscription model was going to fail but yet THEY STILL CHARGED FANS A $150 FOUNDERS FEE and even EXTENDED THE FOUNDERS OPTION.

Fuck you dumb Flagship Studio fans, your about as dumb as they come.

Thank God this game (Hellgate:London) and this Dev Studio are gone. What a bunch of bullshit, greediest developers EVER.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo