Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

ArmA II Next Year

505 Games announces a European publishing deal for ArmA II, saying Bohemia Interactive's military shooter sequel is coming to Europe in Q1 2009. While the game never carried a firm release date, this would seem to represent a bit of a delay for a game that is "set in the near future, year 2009." The announcement comes with a new info sheet, allowing the chance to revel in some ArmA II factoids:

Milton Keynes – 505 Games is today proud to announce it has signed a publishing agreement with esteemed developer Bohemia Interactive to bring the follow-up to 2007’s most realistic PC tactical shooter, ArmA: Armed Assault, to Europe in Q1 2009.

Featuring some of the most realistic warfare ever, ArmA II promises to build on the excellent features that have made Bohemia Interactive a respected name among gamers. So, you can expect in-depth team-based combat, a comprehensive playbook of military tactics and an enormous battlefield to push your strategies to the limit.

ArmA II benefits from a game engine that has been in constant development for 10 years and no other developer can offer such a great heritage in creating open-world military shooters. In fact, Bohemia Interactive is so skilled at producing realistic warfare simulations that the developer has used its Real Virtuality engine as the basis for training simulators used by armies across the globe, including the United States Marine Corps, UK Ministry of Defence and Australian Defence Force.

This experience is also helping Bohemia Interactive to craft an incredibly detailed storyline, full of political intrigue and plot twists, which blurs the boundaries between fact and fiction. Set in the near future in a fictional post-Soviet country called Chernarus, players take on the role of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad, who are called to the country as a peacekeeping force to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability.

“After the success of ArmA: Armed Assault in Europe, we’re thrilled to bring PC gamers more action-packed warfare with ArmA II,” said Alex Price, Senior Global Brand Manager. “This continues to demonstrate our strong support for the European PC market by publishing top quality titles.”

ArmA II, published by 505 Games and developed by Bohemia Interactive, is scheduled for release on PC in Q1 2009.

KEY FEATURES

• A whole new chapter in the ArmA franchise with new characters and an in-depth story
• Unlike most war simulations, ArmA II focuses on team play – including co-operative play, the ability to switch between team members and dramatic moments when you must give first aid to team mates
• Improved AI for team mates and enemies, now they use cover, hide and work better as a unit
• Dynamic conversations and events that shape the storyline
• Incredibly realistic game engine that’s been used by the military for combat simulations
• Comprehensive online multiplayer modes
• An extremely strong modding community among the ArmA II fans

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

12. ArmA II Next Year Aug 18, 2008, 15:07 Aero

It's difficult to say what was so disappointing about ArmA, but I was very disappointed too. The thing is, it was pretty much exactly the same as OFP, which was great and I played for years, but with modern graphics, so why should it be so disappointing?

Somehow, it just didn't do it for me though. In part, it was probably the near fatally broken single-player campaign. The first time I played it (after a broken, unbeatable tutorial and another one of those painfully long, unskippable drives to the battlefield), the Humvee driver got confused at an intersection, and just stopped, so I had to restart the mission. The second time he went the wrong way, so I had to restart again. The third time it worked, but I was shot in the back from 300-odd meters away the very instant I got out of the Humvee. Each time I had to sit though several minutes of the same terrible dialog as we drove to the battlefield. I gave up on it completely and played with the mission-editor instead.

The infantry controls became too complicated as well. Maneuvering your character around was like driving an extremely complicated, sluggish vehicle. OFP was good, slow but realistic, but ArmA's controls were just frustrating a lot of the time.

The performance also sucked. It did that annoying Crysis thing where you set the graphics up so that it runs smoothly and looks good but suddenly you get to some particular part on the island and you're getting 5 fps, so you have to configure the graphics around that, meaning they look unnecessarily like crap 95% of the time. It wasn't until I upgraded to a system well above the recommended specs that the frame rate was uniform. When I could run it at maximum settings and get 60 fps, it did look pretty good though.

Still, it wasn't terrible, and I play it here and there. It's just not the same. Patches have sorted out a lot of the issues, though not until recently. The new online game mode is nice. Right now it's decent enough, but my initial experience with it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I've lost a lot of faith in Bohemia, so I hope they can redeem themselves with ArmA 2. I'm pretty sure they can pull it off though, particularly since it doesn't seem all that different from ArmaA 1, so everything fixed in the patches should still apply.

Here's hoping. I'm definitely not going to buy it the day it comes out like I did with ArmA though. Really, I probably just got my hopes up a little too high because I loved OFP so much.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo