Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DirectX 11 Announced, Compatible with DirectX 10 Hardware

This Gamasutra article, also from Microsoft's Gamefest 2008 developer conference in Seattle has word that DirectX 11 has been announced, though no specific release date is specified. Unsurprisingly, this will be for Windows Vista and "future versions of Windows," but not Windows XP. The good news is that there will be no new hardware requirements, so DirectX 10 hardware should be DirectX 11 compatible.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

77. Re: ... Jul 24, 2008, 22:44 Creston

You know what unallocated memory does, right? Jack shit, that's what.

If all you're doing is staring at your pretty 3d desktop, then yeah. Some of us play this thing called "games", and there are quite a few games that enjoy having more memory available. So the 500 or so extra MBs that Vista gophers could come in quite handy in these "games".

"Now, what MS should work up the balls for doing at one point, is dropping all their legacy-shit, throwing backward-compatibility into a fiery pit, and make something good from scratch without all the crap that inevitably carries over. "

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Yes, they should do that. Because here is how the conversation will go :

Microsoft : We made a new OS, it's teh fucking bomb!
Corporate Client : Really? What good does it do me?
Microsoft : Well, for one, NONE of your old shitty programs will work anymore!
Client : None?
MS : That's right! Nothing! All gone baby! You get to start ALL OVER! Buy new software for absolutely fucking EVERYTHING! And then have the joy of converting every single goddamn byte of your existing network data over to our brilliant new system! Doesn't that sound great?! Hello? HELLO...?

But keep dreaming buddy.

I love how people who have Vista always have this vigorous ZEAL about pronouncing it to the world. "I UPGRADED TO VISTA AND IT WORKS FUCKING GREAT! I'M ON TOP OF THE TECHNOLOGICAL WORLD! EAT THAT XP-USING CAVEMAN! I'M BETTER THAN YOU ARE!"

Really, you guys should get together with all the early adopters of the iPhone and form a support group.

In order for most people to upgrade, there should be some benefit. That's how the world works. Do something -> get benefit. What's the benefit of upgrading to Vista? DX10? For that one game that uses it? Better "security" features, which basically are Microsoft saying "Look, we have no fucking clue how to fix anything, so we're just going to pop up an "are you sure?" box everytime you want to blink, or we're just going to disable everything that had a security hole in it?"
The "your games MIGHT run just as fast as they do in XP! In some cases, they're only 10% slower!"
Or is it the wonder whether my sound card will still work the way it does in XP, because MS has spent 13 years getting everyone to use DirectSound, then unceremoniously dumps it and FUCK the customer?

Benefit of Vista over XP seems to be about absolutely zero. But no, you're right, I SHOULD fork over another 200 bucks so I can have a worse OS. After all, poor Steve Balmer has to feed his kids, right?

Creston

This comment was edited on Jul 24, 22:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo